Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot plants

Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default food plot plants

thinking about planting chicory or buck forage oats here shortly. we have been in a severe drought situation for the 2nd year in a row here in kansas. does anyone have any thoughts on these products under these conditions? also the 2 locations i would be using them are considerably different. one is in the middle of aggricultural area while the other is in pasture area on 3 sides for miles and state ground with farm crops on the other side.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

As days get shorter, any moisture you do get will go much farther. Seed will also wait for rain on dry soil. There is a chance of getting just enough rain to germinate, then turning dry again. That would let seedling dry up.

At a certain point, usually about 2-4 weeks before your first avg frost, it's time to take your chances. Hold on the fertilizer until after germination if you want to minimize your risk of loosing money.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried chicory a couple of times without much luck. It done well in the spring, but it seems Arkansas's hot dry summers are to much for it. Buck forage oats is something I plant every year and is a fine product. During a dry fall its a risk when planting food plots. We have had the same hot dry summer here in northern Arkansas that Kansas has had this year. We do have some moisture in the ground now because of Issac coming through. Its a risk planting in drought conditions. I would personally try waiting a little longer and see if any rainfall came, but by the first of oct. I would consider going ahead and planting. I'm basing this on where I live and my past experiences from planting plots. If your plant on dry ground make sure the seed is lightly, but fully covered if it sets in the hot sun for very long it will not germinate.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Spike

I planted buck forage oats this year in a plot as well. I included some clover and turnips as well. Not a bad idea with the chicory, but I think I would throw something in besides just chicory. Think about adding some rape or turnips or both maybe? Timing is key when planting. Do it when there is foreseeable rain the future. I generally will wait for a day when rain is predicted that same day, or in a day or two. This has never let me down and will ensure germination takes place. After that...it is luck of the draw. There will be years you plant and it only sprouts a few inches and dies of thirst. Such is life in the mid-western fall planting season!