Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Sanctuaries

Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Spike

Default Food Plot Sanctuaries

Im looking at putting in a pretty good size food plot. What i have is a 8 acre field surrounded by woods on all 4 sides and a pretty good size creek that runs around two sides of the property. What i was wanting to ask about is should i just plant one type of plant or should i mix it up a little bit. Would it be a good idea to plant patches of tall grasses for cover and plant three or four different seeds in between these patches. I usually just plant 1/2 acre plots so i was just looking for a little insight on something this size. The field has alfalfa in it right now but i kinda had in mind of leaving some of it and planting soybeans, turnips and some oats in the rest of it.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Spike

Diversity is always best when working with plants. There are so many varieties available now that you could hedge your bets and have some that are more drought tolerant, some perennials, and some annuals. This also spreads the work out so that instead of working the whole field every year or every 3-5 years you could do 2 acres a year or any mix you choose. This spreads the planting cost and work over time instead of all at once.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

I'd use borders of shrubs/grasses all the way around the field. Deer love that edge habitat.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check with Indiana's ag school and/or local USDA ag extension agent. Should be some good info on what varieties of game food plots crops grow well in your area. I'd shy away from the so called "monster" buck vlends that are nationally advertised. You'll come out way ahead planting what grows well there where you are hunting.

If you have the time and $$, have a soil test made. For pH only, you can find a kit and do it your self. Best money you'll spend. I'd suggest planting long narrow strips along each woods edge for this fall and see what happends ... rather than plant a single plot. Say something like 20-30 yards wide.

I'd try to plant a variety. Once you know what will work well, you should be able to buy these particular varieties at a nearby seed/feed store ... or maybe thre is a good local mix. A mix wheat, oats, grain rye and clover works great down this way. The ix we use is about $17/50#. Broadcast rate recommended is about 75# acre. Drilled is about 50#/acre.