Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Brown truck came yesterday

Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Spike

Default Brown truck came yesterday

First, hello to you all. I was raking hay up on the one hill, watching a doe in the woods edge below me and then saw the brown truck back in my drive. When I came home to supper, I found they had delivered my foodplot seed. This will be the first year that I make intentional plots for deer. I have been supplying deer minerals for 5 years, but the deer just ate whatever corn, grass, or small grains that I had in. I have wanted to go this route for a while.
I got turnips, winter greens and a sample pack that has small bags of several different varieties. I've been working on getting plots ready and hope to start planting in a couple weeks depending on rain. We haven't had much and it's too dry to grow anything right now. Looking forward to what the plots will do for the herd and our hunt.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll really enjoy the process of planting a food plot,watching it grow and seeing the Wildlife using it...as you mentioned the dry climate most of Us are experiencing thru out the US will make a big difference in having a good or bad food plot?

Best thing to do is have everything ready close to planting time and watch for any rain in the forecast....when the time is right get out and plant your food plots!

I love trying different plants to see what the Deer enjoy,so far the Rape,Brassicas,Purple Top Turnips and Sugar Beets have been a hit and this year were trying Ground Hog Raddishes into the mix and we may use a little more white clover to keep the food plots going longer?

I thought about trying the Winter Greens also....ended up buying the Tall Tine Tubers instead....let us know how they do and I'll tell You how the T T T work here in Southeast Missouri!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 07-22-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Spike

I finally plowed yesterday and sowed 4 1/2 - 5 acres of winter greens and tall tine tubers today. Also did 1/4 acre of no-plow. Had been too dry to do any plowing or planting, but now we have some moisture. Still have 3 acres of perennials to put in, the ground is plowed and while I would have liked to have it planted 2 weeks ago if the weather stays warm as it has been I should be alright, I hope
My first time planting for the deer, I've grown a lot of crops, but always for the livestock. My kids and I are excited to see how this stuff does.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have my greens bought and ready to go if we ever get any rain. Its really bad around here, worse drought since the 50's. Its not looking good for fall food plots this year. I planted 5 acres of soybeans back in may all for naught, they never got over 6 inches tall. Our rainfall total since the first of may has been 3 inches.