Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Small Food Plot ?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Spike

There is a lot of tree coverage there. Another concern will be the leaf fall. This can cause a plot to fail as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Spike

Size of food plots is an often ask question. First you have to ask yourself what are you establishing the plot for. I recommend one to five acres with nut trees (oak & chestnut), selected grasses, planted grains and clover. If you are planting nut trees chestnut would be a good choice because you should have ample nuts in 5 - 7 years. Also you may find you like to eat chestnuts. They need to be place in the refrigerator for 72 hours to sweeten up prior to eating, either raw or cooked. You would need a least two trees to have nuts. Some Walmart stores sell chestnut trees. Chestnut Hills Farms has a listing that sell their trees. This is for year round feeding of deer, turkey, quail and local dove. If setting up just for the hunting season and targeting deer an area of 1/4 to 1/2 acre may work. I planted a food plot along my power line which would be approximately 1/2 area with oats, winter wheat and clover. The deer, mostly does and fawns, ate it as fast as the growth emerged from the ground. Smaller plots can be eaten out to fast to maintain deer in the area. Planting a larger plot with availability of food year round keeps wildlife in the area and gives you the opportunity to observe wildlife or use a plot camera to determine what is using your plot.

Last edited by flgeorge; 08-22-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: add info