Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best Food Plot Beans?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Food Plot Beans?

In your experience what is the best beans to use for a foodplot that you will leave standing all year? In my personal experience the most shatter resistant bean plot I have planted was last year I planted Real World Wildlife Seed and can honestly say that the pods were still holding strong at the end of deer season! I was just wondering if anyone had any good experience with other brands?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bwhunter501
In your experience what is the best beans to use for a foodplot that you will leave standing all year? In my personal experience the most shatter resistant bean plot I have planted was last year I planted Real World Wildlife Seed and can honestly say that the pods were still holding strong at the end of deer season! I was just wondering if anyone had any good experience with other brands?
Lab Lab and burgundy bush beans. Milgarra butterfly peas and they regenerate if they get nipped off!! High tonnage and average about 24% protein.Velvet beans and quail haven soybeans do pretty good also.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

how do they hold up late season? Especially after a few good frosts? Also somethin I have been thinking about is how important is overall tonnage is deer are only eating the new growth? I mean i guess it is important in some aspects but I would rather have a bean that will hold up against the elements for the longest than have a higher tonnage that the pods shatter the first freeze.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Spike

We use Eagle Seed forage beans. They are Round Up ready, they survived drought conditions and they just keep growing with deer foraging on them. We love them.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Spike

how do they hold up late season? Especially after a few good frosts? Also somethin I have been thinking about is how important is overall tonnage is deer are only eating the new growth? I mean i guess it is important in some aspects but I would rather have a bean that will hold up against the elements for the longest than have a higher tonnage that the pods shatter the first freeze.
By having high tonnage it helps with overgrazing.Lab lab will handle cold temps pretty well and beans in pods will stay intact.Same for burgundy bush beans and soybeans,quail haven and eagle also hold up very welll in cold temps.also a cold and freeze tollerant bean to plant and offers good production is nutrigreee winter peas,they are sweeter than austrian.Feel free to emaim me or pm me if we can help out or answer any questions you have.
Thanks and hope this helps out..
Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Spike

By having high tonnage it helps with overgrazing.Lab lab will handle cold temps pretty well and beans in pods will stay intact.Same for burgundy bush beans and soybeans,quail haven and eagle also hold up very welll in cold temps.also a cold and freeze tollerant bean to plant and offers good production is nutrigreen winter peas,they are sweeter than austrian.Feel free to emaim me or pm me if we can help out or answer any questions you have.
Thanks and hope this helps out..
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Eagle's forage beans are awesome. No better bean on the market, but for the price they better be good!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Real World !!!