Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New land Advice

Old 03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default New land Advice

I purchased 10 acres of land surrounded by Agri. and am looking for a little advice as to what to do with it.

3 acres of it is low , wet and thick as the blubber on a whale. Alot of 4-5' undergrowth, some Maple and Poplar.

I think if it werent so wet the deer would like it. this land runs in a "L-shape" so I was thinking to cut a swath maybe 20' wide through the center to open it up and get some vegitation growing in it, at the same time, get sun and air to it to dry it out

I kicked back some leaves and there is vegitation under it (at this time not sure what) so I thought of running a mower thru to get rid of the years of leaves, use it as a mulch.

I am going to post some pics of it and let me know hat you all think as far as good options.

Thanks
Damon
Old 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Don't be so quick to open it up,
First learn the land,
Are there signs? Deer currently use the land?
Deer like thick stuff for cover,
I have 50 acres heavily wooded and good deal of swamp,
Deer rarely use the open sections, usually find them in the thick stuff hiding
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have been here since August of 11 and I can say this land is not holding any deer. The other 7 or so acres I have seen deer and signs but they seem to avoid this wet area. The other 7 are Maple and Oak with some poplar and birch, and it is not wet.