Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

1/2 acre clover field

Old 03-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default 1/2 acre clover field

I just received my soil test results from my 1/2 acre clover field I established last year. I'm not entirely sure how to interrprate the results. The current PH is 6.6 and while they don't recommend adding any lime I'm thinking I should add a few 40 lb. bags just to get it a little closer to 7.0 and keep it there. Like I said, it's already an established clover field but I'm not entirely sure how much fert. I should put out this Spring or what type. I was also thinking of planting a few apple trees which were also recommend by a forester but was wondering if anyone recommends against doing this in a clover field?
Attached Thumbnails 1/2 acre clover field-scan0005.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

A pH of 6.6 is fine for clover (most clovers have a target pH of about 6.3, they do not need to have 7.0). The soil test report makes it look like lime was already applied in the last 12 months, and your exceptionally high Ca levels would be a sign of recent lime application. If this is true, the lime probably has not completely reacted with the soil yet. It can take years for lime to fully adjust the soil pH, especially when broadcast on the surface and not worked into the soil. While it would not hurt to add a few bags of lime, you would probably be better off spending the money on potash (150 lbs of 0-0-60 for your K2O rec) and weed control. There are many different types of Phosphorus fertilizers (P2O5), so I would take the soil test report to the fertilizer dealer to select the proper rate for P fertilizer. Overall, it looks like you have a nice fertile field that should provide deer with some really nutritous feed.

I have planted apple trees in a clover field. Make sure you protect the apple trees well from the deer. Since they are already in your field for the clover, they will browse the trees too if they are not WELL protected.

Good luck with your plot.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Spike

Yes, Lime was tilled in about 11 months ago when I first established the plot. The biggest problem I have is finding a 0-0-60. The local Southern States only seems to carry the normal 5-10-10 or 10-10-10 standard ferts. It looks as though I'll have to start searching other fertilizer dealers in my area.

Thanks soilman
Old 03-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, those fertilizers are almost all filler and no nutrients. For a 1/2 acre plot, I would consider water softener salt advertised as "no sodium" salt. Read the label to make sure it is potassium chloride, and it may be economical to use over the 5-10-10 or 10-10-10. Here is a link to an example of water softener salt that is KCl (0-0-60) and should be available at a big box store. http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-h...oride-pellets/