Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

small food plot

Old 02-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default small food plot

hey i just have a question on what to plant in a small food plot for early bow season in Ontario. Not a big one just on that they will stop at, on there way to a bigger field. thanks.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Spike

Hard to beat Clover and Chicory in a small plot. Grows in different soils, covers fast, and does ok in shady spots. Easy to maintain and over seed.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

For a quick stop in your location annual rye can work very well (rye grain, winter rye...all the same). It will stay productive and green after the first frosts and is the most soil, ph, and temperature tolerant forage you can find. I would consider about 100#s per acre spread about the 3rd week of August (in your area), along with 50#s of Austrian winter peas. Get a soil test and follow the result recommendations. Then, in mid Sept lay another 100#s per acre right on top to considerably thicken the stand.

Next year spray and kill early...then repeat.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Mix those two answers and you have it right IMO. I have no idea about what type of clover does well in Ontario.

Winter rye is good, also makes a great nurse crop for perennial clover when cut down to about 30 lbs/acre.

I might disagree about the winter peas on a small plot. If you have even a medium deer density they will not have a prayer.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

awesome thanks guys.