Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

what to plant?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default what to plant?

Im In Central alabama looking to lease land in perry county alabama next season. I am interested in good seed mixes pre-mixed or that i can mix myself. Cost is an issue but not going to put saving money ahead of good hunting. So with that in mind can anyone suggest what i should be plating?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plant my own mixtures, its cheaper that way. I plant oats and winter rye mix, topping it off with rape, turnips, or clover for a fall plot. During the summer I plant soybeans for the deer. Get a soil test before any planting is always advisable
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Spike

Soil test and add lime to get your PH to around 6.5-7. That's priority #1. As for what to plant, I would recommend a fall blend of the following for the first year.

50# rye
50# oats
50# winter peas (not needed but deer love them so it's up to you)
5# Forage Radish
8-12# jumbo red clover or 4-6# white clover

Use red clover if you wish to till it under the next fall. It will be like green manure and help build the soil organic matter levels. If you want to start a clover plot, use the white clover and you will have a good clean stand of white clover for the next several years.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the soil test, and get the lime out before March 1 if possible. My favorite fall plot is Buck Forage Oats with Yucci Arrowleaf clover (or Durana). I've been planting it for over 10 years. I plant in the Troy, Ala area.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I agree with the soil test, and get the lime out before March 1 if possible. My favorite fall plot is Buck Forage Oats with Yucci Arrowleaf clover (or Durana). I've been planting it for over 10 years. I plant in the Troy, Ala area.

Very nice mix....Its all you need for a fall blend.