Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

oats, how soon???

Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

I actually used to buy a blend they sold at walmart and it worked great! It came in a big 50 lb bag and it was only like $18. Supposedly covered well over an acre but i just put a bag per plot, (most of my plots are 1/3 an acre or so)... Unfortunatly i havent seen this particular blend at any of my local wallyworlds lately, They do sell Evolved Harvest stuff there and it works pretty well too.. problem is you only get about 1/4 an acre per bag for around $20.
Most Co ops will have some type of Oats and i feel like they all prettty much work the same down here.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

After trying the expensive buck forage oats, i went with plain old horse feed oats from the local CO-OP. They work better for me than the expensive stuff. You can't beat the price at $10.00 per 50 pound bag.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I got about 100 pounds of oats for about $12 at the local feed mill...just plain old feed oats will grow as well as anything else you'll plant. It isn't the seed the deer are after, it's the green shoots that sprout so I don't think it really matters that much what type of oats you plant.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dpv
Where do you get them? I've never planted oats. Southern States?
most any feed store will have seed/feed Oats in 50lb. bag, dont fall for the Buck on the bag brand way to $pricey$.