Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

sandy soil food plots

Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default sandy soil food plots

I'm looking for anything that will grow in sandy soil that can be used as a food plot. I tried some different products that didn't work to well after a week or two. Constant watering is not an option and want something other than mineral licks to use.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

One of our places has a lot of sand in the soil. Iron clay peas usually do well there. We plant the peas thick and deep in wet soil. The peas will cover the ground when they are 6-8" tall and that helps conserve moisture. With the amount of rain you get in NY, iron clay peas should do well there.

In August-October we disc the peas in and the plots are planted in oats.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

If your soil has a pH > 6.6, alfalfa prefers well drained soil like sand.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Cool season annuals are easy, think wheat or winter rye. Crimson clover does better than most things.

For warm season, buckwheat, kobe or korean lespedeza is tough enough for about anywhere. Sorghum is also great for dry land, but it's more of a fall food source from a warm season crop.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

some good advice -

When I was younger - I did my thesis on the Pine Barrens ecology in Albany NY - and I suspect your NJ soil conditions could be similar. (Pitch pine, scrub oak?) - It would be a challange to grow high tonnage plots on this soil type. I probably wouldn't go that route as my main land management plan. Do you have native scrub oak? Could you manage for that?