Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sweet corn vs. cow corn

Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sweet corn vs. cow corn

My buddie and i are planting a small food plot and we decided to plant 1/3 of it clover and divide the rest up between bean bush and corn but we were unsure if we should use cow corn or sweet corn any advice would appreciated thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

put sweet corn in and the coons will have it down before hunting even starts. Thats coons favorite food
Old 05-17-2011, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Cow corn, that's a new one. Can you define "small"? Small batches of either type of corn typically don't make it because of coons and deer. Field corn is the best choice, no doubt.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Field corn has much better genetics, and is a much tougher plant than sweetcorn.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Spike

The plots of field corn we put in I use the roundup ready stuff. A little more expensive but it is much easier to plant it and fertilize, then wait til the plant is about a foot high or so it is established the we spray with touchdown hi-tech. No weed competion after that but it is good because the weeds and grass provide enough cover for the corn to establish itself so the deer dont completely wipe it out right off the bat. We use the same process with soybeans. *** If you are going to try this PLEASE BE SURE you have the roundup ready seed!!!!***