Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

new farm to hunt. what to do???

Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default new farm to hunt. what to do???

A buddy of mine bought 200 acres to hunt.This is in southeast MO. It is all woods with some little foodplot sites where they loaded logs on to the truck when they logged it. Now there is no ag fields anywhere around. Only woods for as far as you can see. He also has a bulldozer. How many and how big would you make the food plots? This will be a deer hunting and turkey hunting spot.
It was select cut when the previous owner had it. They seen alot of deer last season. There is just nothing to eat there. (acorns and browse) What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Experts (who ever they are) say to put 10% of your land in food plots. I Actually perfer a bit more than that. My farm is about 20% in plots. I like for the deer to have plenty to eat, saves them from having to look elsewhere. I realize deer come and go on property, but if there is plenty of food, water, and cover that dont have to.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hate to say it depends, but it depends. If the 200 a square, L shaped or what, terrain and what kind of road system is in place. If possible I would put 5 or so good two acre plots mainly close to the property lines so you have the draw from the contiguous land. Leave several scattered trees in the plot and lay out the plot with prevailing wind directions and plot access point directions in mind. Get a good aerial and topo map of the area and lay out the plans ahead of time, flagging the boundary of the plots. I would get an excavator to pop the trees and stumps out ahead of the dozer work.