Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

lime and fertilizer costs

Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Spike

Default lime and fertilizer costs

how about some examples of lime and fertilizer costs. need 1 ton of 6-24-24 and 10 ton of lime. thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'd guess $400+ (maybe over $500) for the fertilizer and about $450 for 10 tons of lime, at least here.

Both are cheaper where there is more ag, higher where there is not.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fertilizer and lime shouldn't be near that high, but I know location does matter. Call around to the local farmer's co-op's till you can find someone that handles lime and fertilizer. Getting a small amount hauled and spread might be a problem.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Spike

Default update

well, the lime guy said 300 for the 10 tons. delivered, spread.

The fertilizer was pricey. one guy quoted around 675 for a ton of 9-23-30.
The 6-24-24 was around 550 for a ton. that might be the best i can do around here.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by baytrader
well, the lime guy said 300 for the 10 tons. delivered, spread.

The fertilizer was pricey. one guy quoted around 675 for a ton of 9-23-30.
The 6-24-24 was around 550 for a ton. that might be the best i can do around here.
That's deal on lime. Around here, that's a tractor trailer load price, not spread. For one small 10 ton truck, nobody will do less than $42/ton.

Figured fertilizer might get you. Normally it goes up proportional to fuel and grain prices.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

My fertalizer man told me this years price is between $450 and $600 a ton depending on the blend I get and I usally buy 15-20 ton for the farm.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Spike

yeah the lime guy kinda acted like he was hesitant. i suppose they don't like to fool with small amounts. We haven't closed on the property yet (10 more days), so i asked him if he'd be good for it in a week or so and he said he would if it don't get too rainy. but i could tell he wasn't too excited about doing it.

i guess i'm gonna have to do some sort of deal with a local farmer and give up some of the crop/hay to pay for the high cost of keeping the soil at its best. only got 6 or 7 acres, is class 1 soil , bottom field.
wanting to put durana, patriot, and med. red mix, with about two acres of corn. I'm not up to par on what i would have to give up and what i could get out of it. don't want to give up the corn. gotta leave that stand (take care of my babies) (and keep the visual down from the old co. rd.).
how about suggestions. and thanks for all the feedback guys!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

You could harvest half of your corn (if you have someone close enough to do it easily) and be fine. You'd still have about 350-400 bushels to keep them close. Figure the combine and trucking cost before you start counting the money. I pay $30/acre to harvest and I can handle the trucking myself. It should help you out.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 AM
Spike

how about a rough example or so of what i could get from a neihboring farmer who wanted to bale the clover a couple times a year, , say 4 acres. worth anything?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

If he wants it, see if you can get him to maintain it. Will need mowing (baling will work), weeds sprayed, fertilizer every year, lime every few...