Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Incubators

Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default Incubators

I have been considering building a large capacity incubator for pheasant and quail chicks to be released on my land for training my dog and with the hope that those that escape may produce and sustain a wild population. Has anyone ever built an incubator using an old fridge outfitted with a fan and heat lamps. Wanted to try it but didn't know if I am wasting my time or if someone has advice for me in the designing of it to maintain appropriate heat and humidity.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

A friend of mine bought a couple of incubators to hatch eggs and after a couple of years he decided it was cheaper and easier to just buy day old chicks. Seems that buy the time you buy eggs, ship them, finicky heat maintenance, etc the hatcheries with live chicks were the easiest route.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I heard the same but just like my food plots I have this thing about doing it all myself. Just building an incubator capable of producing chicks will be an accomplishment for me. Tried it before using plywood and other materials but the humidity wasn't right and none hatched.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Spike

Culver Duck Farms Inc. is a family owned business, based in Middlebury, Indiana, that takes pride in its work. The company raises and processes approximately 3.5 million ducks annually.
According to Tim Rouch, “Culver Duck is extremely happy with the decisions we have made in the design and equipment choices for our new hatchery. Our decision to use NatureForm systems in our hatchery has been an excellent choice. They have worked with us every step of the way during the design and construction of our facility and the service since startup has been excellent resulting in better than expected return on investment”.

Promote your body fitness
Kettlebell Workout||Kettlebell DVD

Last edited by Alvasin; 10-05-2011 at 11:08 AM.