Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Northern IL food plot

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Spike

Default Northern IL food plot

Hey guys,

I planted a small food plot this Fall that is mainly turnips and rape pre-mix. It came up fantastic and had plenty of rain to make it grow - plot looked great. My problem is that it doesn't look like the deer have touched it at all, from sprout to current. The deer even have a trail they've made through the patch, on their way through my property, so I know they know it's there. What's up? Why haven't they been touching it? I've got harvested fields all around and my property is scrub brush that they travel through every day or so.

Secondly, what are you guys planting that you've had luck with? Really looking for comments from people with the northern IL climate/soil.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Deer in some areas do not eat brassicas, at least not right away. They may still start eating them this winter as other food sources run out (are they eating waste grain in the fields?). If they do start to eat them this winter, they will get the taste for them. As far as other options, winter rye, winter wheat, oats, and peas (preferrably a mix of 2 or more) all work well and are cheap fall/winter food.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckmaster61081
Hey guys, I planted a small food plot this Fall that is mainly turnips and rape pre-mix. What's up? Why haven't they been touching it? I've got harvested fields all around and my property is scrub brush that they travel through every day or so.
Actually that is a good sign. It means the deer have plenty of better tasting stuff to eat, and are not desparate enough to eat turnips or rape.

Roundup ready sugarbeets have a higher preference, and useage, but are no longer available to foodplotters.

Now I just plant RR corn and RR soybeans for a winter foodsource. White clovers and RR soybeans for summer forage.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Winter wheat or rye, for a northern climate, seems to be the least expensive. Deer usually don't touch until late fall/winter.

This year I have Soya's, that I've left standing. Deer are digging through the snow... high energy from the oil, for winter survival. On a dry year though, when alfalfa re-growth is poor, I've had the deer hit the Soya's hard in August. Not leaving much for seed production. Cost is much higher then wheat.

Depending on natural food source availability, deer my not hit food plots until late, when all other sources are exhausted. Example this season deer didn't hit plots until late... only after the larger acorn crop was cleaned up!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Spike

Default SW Wisconsin

We never had good results using the beets/clover/rape for food plots. we use RR alfalfa/corn and soy beans. and have great results. the deer really enjoy the Alfalfa throughout the summer up to first frost. Good luck and hope you have good luck.