Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

is it worth it

Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default is it worth it

i have a nice flat spot were my stand is thats about 80 by 80 is there any way to do this with a hand rototiller and what should i plant im in upstate ny would this help my chances ?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

ps its a old apple orchard with apple trees should i trim away the bushes from um and and trim up the branches?
Old 12-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Spike

I would prune the apple trees back to health and just clean up debris and mow. next fall mow close or spray grasses and top seed with Abruzzi rye/red Clover/Rape this has worked for me in a spot simular to the one you have. If you want a summer plot add Chicory and Durana clover to the mix in your fall planting.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

any others?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a spot or two like that in an old apple orchard. I went in and brush-hogged - then sprayed round up. 4 weeks later disked it up - and seeded/rolled in clover or brassica. I liked clover best because I found that the deer didn't care to really eat it exclusively - more they like to stage there and nibble a little. The Apples and the field 100 yds up the hill were the destination. With clover - it makes a nice Turkey set up as well.

Worth it for me - just dont expect 170 class bucks to rush in. Its more a supplement to an already good spot - thats the way I look at it - lots of Cam Pics too.

FH

Last edited by farm hunter; 12-25-2010 at 06:58 PM.