Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Salt Fork Shooting Range - Trash

Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 AM
Spike

Angry Salt Fork Shooting Range - Trash

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in or not, but I had to say something. My wife and I visited Salt Fork State Park (Ohio) and stayed at the lodge this past weekend. Not there for hunting, but decided to check out the state run shooting range while there.

I was totally amazed at what I saw. I don't even know why the state bothers to provide the facility for us. There was trash everywhere, there were shot gun shells everywhere. I didn't have my camera with me but it was so bad I wanted to go back and take a picture to show other people, but time ran out.

I have literally seen garbage dumps that were better up kept than this shooting range. I was embarrassed to call myself a hunter. I was embarrassed to be there looking at that range with my wife. The site was nothing but an eyesore. It was also right on the side of the road where everyone driving by could see how much respect and appreciation we hunters actually have.

If I wouldn't have been on my anniversary I would have went to the store and purchased a box of garbage bags to clean the disaster up, and that indeed is what it was, a disaster.

Can't we do a better job?

Highly Disappointed Hunter,

Jeremy
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

First, it is not "state run". It's simply a self serve range that the state allows the public to use. I haven't been there in a number of years, but it was never that bad when I went by. Yes, there are a lot of shells laying on the ground. I assume that it's cleaned up every so often. Apparently not enough for you. It should also be mentioned that the road it's on is almost exclusively traveled by people hunting back there. It's hardly a State Route, or even a County road. Perhaps things are worse than they use to be, though this close to gun season it's not all that surprising. It will be a mad house this coming weekend.
This really belongs in the Midwest section. Not sure this has anything to do with "Wildlife Management".
Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Spike

Hm, It was on a nicely paved road, county highway 587 with many cars passing the short time I was there, in off season for the park. It's also not terribly far from the group primitive camping area. The Buckeye Trail passes right by it as well.

All I'm saying is that we are not doing anyone any favors by simply not carrying out the trash we bring and picking up the shells we shoot. I'd ground my kid for two weeks if they just left their trash laying around like I saw at the shooting range yet we as adults can't pickup our own trash?

About the forum, I was unsure of where it should go.

Jeremy
Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

I’m not disagreeing with you. WE should be picking up our trash. What I didn’t want people to think was that this was a State run range with employees and such. It’s far from that. This is in fact the busy time of year for that road, not the off season. Hunters make up probably 80% of the traffic back in there, maybe more this time of year. I think if you were to go by in the summer it would be different, though the shells are always there.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Spike

I joined this forum just to set you straight on this. The class C shotgun only range in the Salt Fork Wildlife area is NOT "simply a self serve range that the state allows the public to use." It is a State facility, but as a class C range is "simply" *unsupervised*.. It's right there on the ODNR website for all to see, a mere 30 seconds of research.. "Salt Fork Wildlife Area Guernsey Shotgun C (740) 489-5021"

Hunters and fishermen seem to be just about the worst when it comes to packing out their trash, it's been my sincere displeasure to deal with this problem from so called "sportmen" at campgrounds around the state. Clean up your mess, you made it, CLEAN IT UP.

Originally Posted by M.Magis
First, it is not "state run". It's simply a self serve range that the state allows the public to use. I haven't been there in a number of years, but it was never that bad when I went by. Yes, there are a lot of shells laying on the ground. I assume that it's cleaned up every so often. Apparently not enough for you. It should also be mentioned that the road it's on is almost exclusively traveled by people hunting back there. It's hardly a State Route, or even a County road. Perhaps things are worse than they use to be, though this close to gun season it's not all that surprising. It will be a mad house this coming weekend.
This really belongs in the Midwest section. Not sure this has anything to do with "Wildlife Management".
Old 10-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

People in general seem to slobs and have no respect for anything and state run or not its not the states place to clean up after anyone. As hunters and fisherman it is our job to leave an area as clean or cleaner than when we got there. I was shocked ( but should not have been considering who it was) to see a "professional Bass fisherman" more than once break off fishing line and just throw it in the lake during a tournament on TV.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Just realized this thread is 6 years old