Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need help in Wi.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Need help in Wi.

Am looking for help in land and QDM in polk cty Wi. all aspect of project .many acres,laying out,trails food plots safe zones ect.willing to hire professional from the area.thanks for any ideas
Old 07-17-2003, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Need help in Wi.

This site is a good place to start. Read the posts here, copy & print out any that have good info. There' s newcomers and old timers. There' s lots of good stuff. many have worked wonders in preparing their land. And the ones that have goofed; well we aren' t afraid to admit our mistakes. (I' m close to the top of that list.) Your question is a little broad for most of us, but after you have sorted through the posts here you may be able to ask more detailed questions. And sosmeone will come forward.
Welcome to the board.
Russ
Old 07-18-2003, 11:34 AM

Another place for info is your area QDMA chapter. Check here: http://www.qdma.org. Also if you join the " QDMA" they have some very good books and a quartly mag that is pretty good.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:21 PM

Yogi,

If it' s professional help you are looking for, you may want to talk to these guys. I know they help manage a lot of properties in the Buffalo and Eau Claire county region. If not, they may be able to refer you.

A & K Forestry out of Eau Claire, WI phone # (715) 833-9594. The guy I met is Geoff Morris who works for the company. We met at a wedding and were discussing land management over a few brews. He has helped me with referrals for forestry things for my land, etc. The reason I didn' t use his company is because they are located too far away from my property. Give Geoff a call and see if he can help you. I was impressed with his knowledge and insight. Good luck.

Tom Hart
Old 07-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-21-2003, 06:52 PM

thanks for advice
Old 07-22-2003, 06:30 AM

Yogi, I used to live in Glenwood City and I know that area pretty good up there. Used to hunt a lot by Connorsville and New Richmond. My guess is you have the water as there are a lot of swamps around there. The agriculture is still present although th growing season is shorter. The only thing I could recommend along with Brians comments is to get out and talk to other hunters and tell them what you are trying to do. Show them some video and/or camtrakker pics of the deer in your area. As by Glenwood, there are a lot of traditional hunters and family traditions there, the mind set of " If its brown its down!" Try and talk to the younger generation, I have found that they are more willing to let em walk as opposed to the people who have been shooting everything for years.

There are many small tracks of lands in your area, with many large deer, no matter the habitat improvements you make, the deer are still going to wander, thus proving that you need your neighbors cooperation to pull this thing off. The guy I currently work with was in the initial group of starting QDM here in Buffalo county in the late 80' s or early 90' s. If you need some literature just e-mail me and I' ll refer you to him.

Good Luck
Old 07-22-2003, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Be very careful when hiring someone to do you plots... We know!!! Get references.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Yogi,

I' ve done it twice. First, Mark Thomas, a national board of director for the QDMA, is excellant. And then I' ve had a limited amount of consultant work from Neil Dougherty, of www.northcountrywhitetails.com. I would highly recommend both, with Mark more on the Camera Census/Biology/Forestry/FP installation/herbacide-chemical/Native habitat Management end, and Neil more on the strategic FP builbing/hunter movement/deer movement/habitat manipulation for hunting/hunter layout/stand layout end.

Both are highly capable, with great backgrounds. Neil works in a group with Dr. Grant Woods, Charles Alshiemer, and Bob Foulkrod. There team is hard to beat, with Neil being the consultant.

You can do what I did....spend several years developing a plan, then several years implementing and tweaking with professional guidance. Or you can hire a professional and do it right, with a solid long-term management plan right off the bat. If you have the money, and want a solid plan right now, hire a professional. I developed 85% of my plan with information from books, magazines, and sites like these for several years, but that remaining % was gleaned from the experts. I feel my properties future plans, and the plans I have completed, couldn' t have been implemented without some advice from the experts.

I sounds like Neil might be your guy, take a look at the above website.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 07-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

NorthJeff; what does it cost to have a consultant check out a property (say 100 acres) and give you a report? I' m not including overseeing or making the actual improvements.

Dan O.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.