Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover and Frost??

Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Clover and Frost??

Does something happen to clover after it has been frosted a couple of times that makes it less desirable to deer?
I have a small plot of clover and in early season the deer are on it every night and day!! 100s of trail cam pics in 7 days time...Now last week after 9 days the trail cam had 10 pics...I sat on the plot and no deer...It used to have multiple deer each night?? What happened/happens to the clover??
Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

Clover wil go dormant in the late fall. Since you have had a few frosts, there is a good chance your clover is starting to go dormant or already dormant. Once clover is dormant, it is not a preferred feed anymore. If your clover is looking more brown than green, it is resting until spring.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good chance the deer have found acorns that they might prefer as a food source.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing i have done to help with this situation is to over seed the clover with brassicas and turnips in late august or early september. As long as you get enough rain and the temps stay reasonably cool it works out great. I mow my clover really short and lightly disk it. I then just broadcast spread my brassica seed on top after fertilizing and limeing. The mowing and fertilizing promotes lots of regrowth for the clover which really ramp up the attractivness to the deer and then once the clover starts to go dormant after several frosts the brassicas are starting to sweeten and become very attractive. This way you have one food plot that is attractive nearly all season and you can do the same thing several years in a row and still have a lush clover plot throughout the spring and summer.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Frost kills the "grass and forage cutting season"

As I learned for decades. It's interesting the use that trail cams are getting in the modern era.
A lot of hunters will start finding out that one spot isn't a year round spot.