Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

plows or tillers for an ATV?

Old 07-10-2003, 06:16 PM

Default plows or tillers for an ATV?

after reading some of the replys on the plot master, thats out, went to the tractor
supply the other day, they have an AGRI_FAB, 5hp, tow behind tiller, $955.00
a friend told me to stay away from it, to lite to brake up sod, also wants to keep
pushing you forward, when you come to the end of a row, dangerous, does anyone know somthing i can buy for small plots, I have a very big new 500cc
suzuki with low gear any ideas?
Old 07-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: plows or tillers for an ATV?

I use a small lawn tractor type disc. It had to be modified a little to pull it behind the atv but only took a couple hours. It works good if the moisture is right in the soil. Takes a lot longer than it would with a tractor but I don' t have 10 grand sitting around to buy farm equipment only to be used for food plots. I bought mine used from an older guy down the road from me who didn' t use it anymore. Gave him $30 for it. You' ll have to add some type of weight to make it work. Click on my link below for picture of it and to see what it can do. It' s under the food plot tips button.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:55 PM

ballisic, I have a 1 bottom type thing from a samplicity and a rack, it' s just to
lite tried weighing it down with cinder block wheel weight' s and still to lite, pluse
a pain in the a$$ when you stop and change direction' s, I cant shell out 10 grand
either, I asked the farmer down the road and he just laughed and said his plow
is like 8 bottom and never be able to turn around in a tight spot, I dont know
probebly nothing avalibale without buying the farm[:@]
Old 07-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

The disc is pretty easy to turn around with. It' s set up to pull behind the atv like a trailer. If there' s enough moisture in the ground it will cut about 6 inches deep. It' s nowhere near as easy as doing it with a tractor but for the money I saved it' s well worth it. I' m getting ready to do about a 2 acre food plot in a 2 year old cutover that will be burnt and planted in pines. I' m sure that' s going to take weeks to get it ready to plant but I can' t wait to get started.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:30 PM

hum, i' ll have to go back to the tractor place or pick up a swap paper and see
if thay have somthing on wheels, thanks
Old 07-11-2003, 12:03 AM

Hey Ballistic, that' s a very inovative disk arrangement. I could hardly believe the amount of weight you have on it. That' s the kind of stuff my buddy bent arrow needs for his food plots. A plotmaster might be o.k. once the field has been plowed and disked but too light to work the ground that hasn' t been previously prepared. I' m a tight wad and 30 bucks looks like you got an outstanding deal. I paid 50 for a 5' Dixie Cutter bush hog and it just makes me[:-][&:]when I use it. terry
Old 07-11-2003, 04:45 AM

one particular spot is a south facing slop, its got the thickest sod ive ever seen,
was working land 10 to 12 years ago, I really think i' ll have to hire someone to
bust that up, its the perfect location, another is flat old golden rod field and ive cut
it already, that souldent be to much trouble, [:@] I think
Old 07-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Terry, a pull behind bush hog is next on the list for me. I hope I can run across a deal like that!!! Right now I' m using a weedeater to mow my clover plots. It takes several hours to get it done.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can rent a hand sprayer & get some roundup - once the sod is dead it breaks up alot easier - some people don' t even disk at all - broadcast lime/seed/ fertilizer right on top - clover is so shallow rooted that the top 2-5" of soil is whats most important anyhow.

Ballistic tip - Very nice Website, and set up!

Old 07-11-2003, 07:58 AM

I used to use a six disc atv plow that I bought from a John Deere dealer a couple of years ago for around $250. It worked great. Had a rack to add more weight for deeper discing and you could flip it over onto two wheel for transport.
Sold it a few weeks ago because I no longer have any fourwheeler or land to disc.[:' (]

Quick Reply: plows or tillers for an ATV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.