Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tecomate Ultra Forage

Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tecomate Ultra Forage

I've recently planted some tecomate ultra forage, I prepared the ground well and everything. I was just wondering if others have used this seed mix and what their personal thoughts were. Any input would be interesting! thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

I planted it last year and considered the plot a total failure. The plants barely came up and those that did the deer just ate immediately. Maybe others have had better experiece
Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had great success with planting and growing, but there deer didn't ever eat it. It's mostly T rape, not much bulbs, all tops. The deer were in it early, but never hammered it. Can't figure out why deer weren't on it after the frost. I planted earlier than this though. You should still be ok as long as we don't get hard frost till mid Oct.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ben / PA
I had great success with planting and growing, but there deer didn't ever eat it. It's mostly T rape, not much bulbs, all tops. The deer were in it early, but never hammered it. Can't figure out why deer weren't on it after the frost. I planted earlier than this though. You should still be ok as long as we don't get hard frost till mid Oct.
yeah, before I planted I read that it takes about 45 days to reach its full potential. So i went to weather.com, looked up annual temperature averages 45 days after the day i planted and even in the night it is around 35-40 degrees. So i hope it grows and the deer like it. It also rained hardcore after i planted it....anyone think that may effect it in a negative way?....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The rain? Unless it is on a hill and you had flash flood type rain, it's a great thing to get a downpour after planting. Hell, I try for that. It puts the seed in excellent contact with the soil. Good luck with your plot, mine grew great, the deer just weren't interested. I am trying the globe/bulb type turnip out this year to see if they like it better.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ben / PA
The rain? Unless it is on a hill and you had flash flood type rain, it's a great thing to get a downpour after planting. Hell, I try for that. It puts the seed in excellent contact with the soil. Good luck with your plot, mine grew great, the deer just weren't interested. I am trying the globe/bulb type turnip out this year to see if they like it better.
It's not on a hill, however, it downpoured for 2 and 1/2 days...just got a little uneasy about it. thanks for the reassurance haha.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ben - remember last year in northern PA? We had about 8 inches of snow on the ground in October. That May we also had a late frost that killed all our apples.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, my oats were peaking out of the top of it. The deer were still on them.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, my oats were peaking out of the top of it. The deer were still on them.
That's a good thing. Easy meal for deer in those conditions. Might just attract them to that spot