Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

2003 Soybean Planting Test Results

Old 07-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2003 Soybean Planting Test Results

From some of the other posts I' ve commented in , many of you know that we did a 2 acre planting of soybeans this year. I thought I' d post the " progress" of the plot over the course of the summer.

So far - Here are the details:

Plant Date: 6/18/03
Soil Info : Ph=5.5-6.0 rocky, clay/loam
prep : plowed/disked
Nutrients : High K, Low P, Very low N.
Seed : certified seed - soybean - planted with inoculant.
Lime : None
Fertilizer : None
planting : Used a 30" , 4 row corn planter - 1/2 the field is planted in 30" rows,
the other half - I planted by running the planter back and forth trying
to get the rows less than 6" - 12" apart (simulates broadcasting).
The purpose of the two plantings is to see if there is an advantage to
cultivation - or if the plants will do as well broadcast/disked in.
Notes: The field was planted in corn last year, there was no grassy sod at plowing, but pleanty of annual weeds (ragweed mostly), the soil was very wet at planting, even soupy/muddy in places. It is hoped that with inoculation, the soybeans will dominate the weeds in the Nitrogen lacking field. Since the field is also low in Phosphorous - some 11-52-0 (MAP) fertilizer was applied in a small, test section. It is hoped that P levels, while low, are OK enough for Soybean growth.

Old 07-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2003 Soybean Planting Test Results

Here is a picture of the planting dated 7/3 - shows the row planting (on right) and thick planting (left side).

Also notice the weeds that were not completely gone after plowing and disking. This is normal, but more so this year due to the start-stop delays we had due to cold & wet conditions.

Emerged soybean plants are dark green - a good sign.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Pat - email is on its way.

If you can post some pictures - please do!

Old 07-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

pat -

You can upload a picture when you make a post, but it has to be small - 30kb max, this feature is at the bottom of the screen when you post - or reply to a post " click here to upload" .

If the picture (jpg) it too big (most of mine seem to run 50-100kb) then you need to post the picture to a " host site" This could be a webpage of yours, or a service like ANDALE.COM or HUNTINGPICTURES.COM. - there are many others.

ANDALE is a great site - but you pay $5.00/month to be able to post pictures there - I use it - because I also sell on ebay, and its helpful to have an image library. Anyhow, lets say you find a place to store pictures online. Once you upload the picture to the site - its given a " url" that is specific to that picture - and when noted in HTML format will display in the post. I know that sounds complicated - but its really not - it makes more sense in an example - for instance:

the URL address for a picture of mine is:
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/..._corn_lake.JPG

note - it looks like a wesite address - thats because it is - the jpg at the end tells me its a picture.

When making a post where I want the picture to display: I type immedediately after the address

if I want it to appear like a link: use and instead: http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/..._corn_lake.JPG

Note: I can imbedd any picture on the web in my post - to get the url address of any picture on the web - Right Click on the picture - click " properties" and the url adress is displayed - for example - I like the " jordan buck" so I looked for a picture on the web, found its Url: http://www.burnettcounty.com/tourism...ackground.jpg- and here it is:

good luck, if you need more explanation - let me know.

Old 07-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-09-2003, 10:55 AM

Farm hunter, just had to tell you of a soy observation, a few year' s ago, was hunting in centerville n.y. allegany, co, mostly corn, alphalfa, country,a farm i know planted two 40 acer plots of soybean, unbeliveable, what a magnet for deer,
I have hunted soy in ohio, but with so much of it deer have alot to choose from,
that field yeilded nothing for him, total lose, but about 6 P&Y buck' s were killed in
the perimeter,
Old 07-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the insight Norsemen - I kind of hope thats the case - the proof will be in the pudding.

Last summer we planted a test plot - did not inoculate (never heard of such a thing!) of about 1/6th acre right next to the cabin in som cruddy soil there. It came up but never got above my shins. Still every night I bowhunted, when I came back to the cabin a doe was feeding in the little plot - 2 times I passed here up because the light was too poor for a 100% kill.

I figured that for a full grown doe to feed right next to the cabin on cruddy soil, unfertilized, stunted soybeans - I' d have to give a real plot a try - Thus the 2 acre Soybean experiment was born.

Thanks - I' ll post as the plot changes.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Farm Hunter Roundup ready beans a re the way to go, they coast a little more , paying for the tech fees in each unit, but we plant about 3600 acres and it is all R/R, we do about 2400 in R/R corn, we are still planting beans after wheat, rained out today, we do not have to plant food plots , we have a problem keeping deer out of the crops. We do some custom planting for hunters in the are and I try a small plot in the middle of a woods occasionally. Last year we planted sunflowers for dove hunting and the deer ate em up, and we lre planted and planted some millet. I am going to try my old standby turnips and rape later this month, What have you been doing at the camp, I havent had any progress reports from you this year, yet... Good luck Ron

Quick Reply: 2003 Soybean Planting Test Results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.