Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
What Should I Put In My 1/2 Acre Plot >

What Should I Put In My 1/2 Acre Plot

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What Should I Put In My 1/2 Acre Plot

Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default What Should I Put In My 1/2 Acre Plot

I have a 1/2 acre plot cleared with black dirt added to it. I also have irrigation setup for it, so my question is what should I put in it? is there some good mixes from Gander or is there a better route?

It will mainly be used for bow hunting, and whats the best way to hunt it?

I mainly want it to attract deer but is it possible to bring in turkeys or morning doves?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Spike

how about turnips for late season? i don`t know if this would work where you are at but-oats,cereal rye grain,winter peas,red clover and some raddishes would be a good mix.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

I like clover/chicory for deer and turkeys- cheap and easy to get established your first year of growing a food plot, the following years if weeds are kept in check comes back fuller and more lush allowing a great food source for 5 years or better. This fall I am planting oats in the same existing clover/chicory plot. This method provides food from the very beginning of spring lasting until winter when the oats die. During the non growing season I use feeders to supply additional food (baiting being illegal here in Pa, I wait till I am done hunting for the season)

I also plant soybean and corn but have more field to do that in. With less acreage I suggestthe clover-chicory/oat for a longer lasting plot.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 08-19-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

For a fall deer, doves, turkey plot, I would plant winter rye and peas. The winter rye will be very attractive after the you get a hard freeze, and the peas will be attractive as soon as they germinate (for early bow hunting). The doves and turkeys will be in there to eat the seed, and to dust themselves. The turkeys and deer will also hit the new growth this fall. Deer will be in it all fall, winter, and early next spring. Planting some turnips may be good too, but deer in some areas do not seem to eat them (maybe try a small area in your plot to see if they get eaten). You can probably save some money by going to a local co-op to buy the same seed farmers would use.

Probably the best way to bow hunt it would be to hunt the trails between bedding areas and the plot.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Spike

I like turnips with a small amount of clover or alfalfa mixed in. It's a heck of a lot less expensive then all those "designer" food plot mixes and the deer, turkeys, quail, etc will love it.

Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I like clover/chicory for deer and turkeys- cheap and easy to get established your first year of growing a food plot, the following years if weeds are kept in check comes back fuller and more lush allowing a great food source for 5 years or better. This fall I am planting oats in the same existing clover/chicory plot. This method provides food from the very beginning of spring lasting until winter when the oats die. During the non growing season I use feeders to supply additional food (baiting being illegal here in Pa, I wait till I am done hunting for the season)
I agree 100%! Did my first plot 5 years ago with clover & chicory and easy to maintain,deer love it and only now needs re-seeding...
Old 08-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like Oats and Clover. A 1/2 acre plot is a bit small to use as a dove field. Peas are good for deer, but if there is a good population of deer they will wipe out a 1/2 acre in a couple of nights, and peas do not handlle heavy grazing. For turkeys, I would plant a few rows of chufas next May on the side of the patch.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya need to go ask a farmer what crop the deer eat up the most, then plant that, when the farmer harvest his crops, yours will still be standing!!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you are doing, get it in the ground in the next two weeks. I'd suggest a rye or oats based mix with turnips being the other component.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Spike

how long do turnips take to grow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.