Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots??

Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Spike

Default Food Plots??

I live in northern Mississippi and for the first time i will be planting biologic outfitters blend and winter peas to try and bowhunt over. Any suggestions on when to plant. Is Labor Day weekend to early? I would like for it to be up and ready for bow season but if I need to wait I will. Any advice will be greatly apreciated.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

In south Alabama I like to plant the last weekend of September. I don't know what is in that blend, we usually plant Buck Forage Oats. The Austrian winter peas I have tried in the past were not of much use. As soon as the pea gets about 3 inches high the deer nip them off and they don't come back.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt in SE Al. Labor Day is too early in my opinion. Worse scenario is that the crop comes up then has to endure a sustained , hot drought. Which often has happened down my way big time from Labor Day into mid-October. I plant no earlier than mid-September just to eliminate 2-3 weeks of possible drought conditions. I have planted as late as first weekend in October. Our archery season traditionally Oct. 15. Not sure when Miss. archery starts. I'd suggest hold off until 2-3 weeks before archery opens. If you get a decent rain, it'll be in good shape by the opening. Good luck with that mix. Personally I prefer a blend dominated by forage oats, with buckwheat. After dragging in, I overseed with Crimson Clover. Echo Timber Cruiser on the AAustrian winter peas. HAve used them in the past. They'll germinate fine alright, but will be clipped by the deer, and rabbits too in my case, almost immediately and that does them in. I would spend whatever you are on Austrian peas on forage oats or Crimson Clover.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Moved to the Wildlife Management / Food Plots forum...