Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

weed killer to destroy everything

Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default weed killer to destroy everything

is there any kind of weed killer that will just destrow everything. small scrub bushes and small trees "after they have been bushhoggged"

all i see is weed and grass but i doubt it will be strong enough for what i need. thanks in advance
Old 07-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Try Crossbow. There are others, but this is the first to come to mind.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Depends a lot on what type of tree/bushes you have. After being mowed off, especially if they've been mowed off for several years, they can be very difficult to kill because of the advanced root system.

If you let them grow a year or two and then apply Remedy mixed with diesel fuel from the ground up to 18 or so inches, completely covering the stem, that will usually smoke the tree.

I use a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and mix 1 quart of Remedy to 3 quarts of diesel. I use just enough pressure to kinda dribble the mix along the stem as opposed to high pressure where over spray affects the surrounding area to much.

Surmount is another lethal herbicide, but is very expensive.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

2-4-d and roundup mix would be what I would try. It would be by far the cheapest route to go with and it will kill a wide variety of weeds and grasses. I would add crop oil with it to make it hotter. Arsenal is for woody type plants and works great, but its very expensive to.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Spike

I agree with M.Magis. Crossbow is where its at. For quicker results, try revealing some of the root of the tree and scraping the root bark off. Apply the crossbow to the bare root and watch as the leaves brown within a couple of days.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Spike

Default Kill everything

This past spring I had to clean a 17 acre field of brush trees, shrubs, briars, fescue grass. It was a set aside field for 20+ years. A good 30 ounces of Round up, and the recommend amount of Cross Bow plus 2-3 onces extra per acre did the job. After 3 weeks everything was brown and ready to burn the field clean. This is the mixture I always use when clearing ground with a little of everything in it. Good luck.