Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

When to plant clover

Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Spike

Default When to plant clover

Just wondering if its to late to plant clover. I live in western new york and the product im using is antler kings trophy clover mix.

thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

It's late for a spring planting, but early for a fall planting. Most people prefer a fall planting. Somewhere around Labor Day usually works well.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

I have planted clover in the early and late spring, during the summer and fall, even frost seeded. Clover seems to grow at anytime as long as there isn't a drought. The plants are flowering and dropping their seeds now naturally. For the price of the Antler King products it isn't going to set you back a whole lot if you don't get enough rain to make all the seeds sprout. You'll still have more clover than you did prior to planting and something to lure the deer in prior to the season opener making it easier to pattern them to your area prior to them going nocturnal about the same time the fall planted seeds produce sufficient forage.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only done spring plantings about end May. Never tried a fall planting. I prefer to have it good and established, mowed 1 or 2x's. Before te Ny winters hit. Because you never know if will get snow in Oct. I've seen yrs when had snow on the Southern Archery opener.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

I would wait until Aug 15-Labor Day time frame. Plant it before a rain, and hope you get some fall moisture.

If you haven't done so, take a soil sample soon. You have plenty of time to lime, fertilize, and control weeds (cutting and/or roundup) before planting time.