Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Compact tractor vs quad

Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Spike

Default Compact tractor vs quad

What would be better for putting in foodplots a compact utility tractor between 18 and 25hp or a quad.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

There is no comparison. A tractor is made for such work, an ATV is not.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

You might be able to maintain an established food plot area with an ATV. But you would most definitely need a small tractor to establish the plot.

One another note, you could probably establish a food plot with a riding mower. It would take longer than with a tractor, and you'd have to fabricate your own implements. If you already have a welder and access to a metal scrapyard, this may be what you want to do. I've built some implements for my tractor (bucket teeth, boom pole, 3 pt sprayer). The only things you could build for a mower would be some sort of disk, harrow or other tillage device. I guess you could fab a broadcast spreader and sprayer too.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by psandhu
You might be able to maintain an established food plot area with an ATV. But you would most definitely need a small tractor to establish the plot.

One another note, you could probably establish a food plot with a riding mower. It would take longer than with a tractor, and you'd have to fabricate your own implements. If you already have a welder and access to a metal scrapyard, this may be what you want to do. I've built some implements for my tractor (bucket teeth, boom pole, 3 pt sprayer). The only things you could build for a mower would be some sort of disk, harrow or other tillage device. I guess you could fab a broadcast spreader and sprayer too.
RU nutz? A riding mower? Nothing close to a tractor.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a small 30hp john deere with front end assist, pulls my 5 tine chisel plow just fine. Cant really imagine using my 4 wheeler to plant food plots. ATV's are a fine addition to using a tractor, such as spraying, even dragging plots and spreading seeds.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
RU nutz? A riding mower? Nothing close to a tractor.
He's not suggesting it. Only saying that one could be used, just like an ATV could be used. Neither is the proper tool.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by M.Magis
He's not suggesting it. Only saying that one could be used, just like an ATV could be used. Neither is the proper tool.
I put one of my first plots in with a riding mower. First I mowed the existing vegatation as low as possible, then I went over it and over it again with a home made implement that dug into the ground about half an inch.

Did it take a long time? Yes.
Would a tractor be better? Yes.
Is this something worth trying if you don't have a tractor? Yes.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Spike

todays 4x4 atv's are more than enough for small food plot work. I have been using them for close to 10 yrs now. Some of the larger ATV are pushing 70hp. The key with ATV's are keeping them cool. Tractors are by far the best but ATV will do a great job also. You say they arent made for discing, why does artic cat make their own implements
Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used my atv to put in all 3 plots have. Only becasue I don't have a tractor. But I would suggest a tractor if it was a choice. If going to use a quad I suggest one of at least 500cc, and a low geared rear end. Not one made for top end speeds. Something with grunt. I have a 01' Arctic Cat 500 auto. My brothers Yamaha 400 is faster, but he can't pull what mine can. I've used atv sized disc's & plow drags, pull behind mower to do all 3. But I'd much prefer a compact tractor & hope to own one someday.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Spike

I went through the same decision last year and ended up buying a 45HP Kubota 4WD with loader. I now own a PTO spreader, 2BTM plow, 7’ disk, harrow drag, brush hog, blade, sprayer, etc.

A friend of mine uses his ATV, really there’s now comparison when it comes to how much work you can get out of a tractor. When it comes to farming, HP really isn’t as important as weight, which translates into traction. What I can do in a single pass takes my friend several, and I’m working a larger swath as I go.

Now IF I could only have 1 tool, then I’d probably opt for a big 4x4 just because I can use it for other things, but for the "what’s better" I’d say a tractor.

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.