Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Hey Its growing!

Old 06-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hey Its growing!

Some may recall I posted a topic Its in ,and it better grow on 6/2. I was back down to my camp this wknd, and the plot is growing. Its about 1" tall on average. I was so excited to see it all coming up! I then spent the time placing the Plot Saver kit up around the 1acre plot so it doesn' t get devoured before it can get good & establised! I think maybe the tape alone wiggling back & forth in the breeze could be enough to keep deer spooked away from it, but I applied the deer repellant as well. Hopefully it' ll be even thicker & taller next time I run down!
Old 06-22-2003, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Hey Its growing!

Here' s another idea, if they seem to ignore the tape. We tie Walmart, etc. plastic bags on strings around our garden. The white especially look spooky in the dark. Make sure you pierce the bottoms of the bags or they will fill up with rain. The slightest breeze will set them to flopping. We' ve got them around the garden plot that has peanuts, corn, melons and string beans. No raiding so far. They are about 3 1/2 feet from the ground. My five food plots may be taking the place of the garden, tho. They all show some heavy use.
Russ
Old 06-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I' d love to hear how the plot saver worked?
Old 06-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll do updates on the Plot Saver to info anyone interested on its effectiveness. It was pretty simple to put up. I bought several fence posts, and cut some more stakes w/chainsaw from dead hardwood branches laying around the place. Hardest part was pounding them into the ground. The kit came with plenty of tape, its like the nylon packaging material used for banding. I mixed the solution in a 3gal pump sprayer. I only mixed up 1/2 gal. and that was plenty to spray the tape, and up & down the posts. It smells sorta like a strong pine tree odor, with something else to it I couldn' t figure out. The 1acre kit cost $54.99, and if you mention saw it on this website or in Deer & Deer hunter mag shipping is free. I rec' d it in just under a wk from order date.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:37 AM

I planted the week brfore you did and mine is about 4 to 6' " tall. the deer just started in it this week.hope it will hold them off till it get a start.