Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tall Grass-Transition Strips

Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Spike

Default Tall Grass-Transition Strips

I am looking for suggestions for tall grasses or anything I can plant that will create a good transition strip around clover fields. I have a couple of fields that are out in the open and I would like to box them in to create more seclusion/security for the deer. I am looking for something that will grow at least 3 ft tall. Any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Switchgrass would be my choice.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

A good fast growing annual that would work this year is Pearl Millet. In my area it cost around .78 cent a pound. It will grow in acidic soil, needs little or no fertilizer, drought resistant and will grow 3 ft or more in 4 weeks after planting. Needs to be planted after all danger of frost has passed tho'.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Depends how long you want to wait before it's that tall and if you want it for more than one year.If you just need something quick,Egyptian wheat or the millet,if you want to plant it and leave it switch or NWSG.Lots of examples of this on qdma.com
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on where you are at and what type of soil you are dealing with.

I have been doing brush control and rangeland restoration on the ranch for a couple of years now. I have planted several introduced species, as well as trying to re-establish the big four in some of our pastures. I can only plant switchgrass in poorly drained soil, because I don't get enough rainfall most years otherwise. I've had good luck with Indiangrass, and some success with big and little bluestem, although the latter two have been a little more difficult to establish.