Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
How Long for Apple trees to produce? >

How Long for Apple trees to produce?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How Long for Apple trees to produce?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default How Long for Apple trees to produce?

I planted some apple trees 2 years ago and then planted some more last year. They were all about 3-4 ft tall when I planted them. How long before I can expect to get apples on them and should I be fertilizing them at all? I prune them every spring and out of the 12 I planted 10 survived.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

usually 3-4 yrs from planting, depending on variety and rootstock.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

It will depend on whether they're dwarf, semi or standard as well as variety.

If no fertilize was used at planting then fertilizing at or just before green up is beneficial. I prefer to use composted poultry manure because of the additional nutrients such as boron, calcium, sulfur, mg and other trace minerals, that apple trees need. 10-10-10 will work when the trees are young, but as they reach 5,6 years you should scale back the nitrogen.

Also, apples do best with a PH of 6.3 to 6.7. Spraying for insects and diseases is very important too.