Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I give up!

Old 06-18-2003, 11:10 AM

Default RE: I give up!

No, we aren' t spraying today...just cutting.

Do you think a week is long enough after cutting to spray?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

i doubt if a week is long enough. it sounds like the grass is pretty tall, and when it' s cut you' ll have alot of dead tall cut grass on top of your green grass. you want to see lots of GREEN grass that' s actively growing when you spray it. then it will turn to dead grass. spraying honcho on cut grass won' t do anything.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

This is a better color of GREEN
Old 06-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice and grass with lots of fresh leaf surface. It' ll probably be a few weeks before you reach that stage. The Roundup will then take about a week to work.

When you said 8 ft wide by 11 acres I was wondering it you bought and old railway bed.

Dan O.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

How long does that round up stuff last before grass starts growing again?
about a day or two. it will kill most anything that is growing. it will do nothing to prevent seeds from germinating. if the grass you are cutting has alot of seeds on it, they will probably start germinating a week after the first rain. if it hasn' t seeded yet, you' ll probably be good for a month or two before things start naturally growing on that soil. i think the label says something to the effect of " it' s safe to plant seeds 7 days after application" .
Old 06-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like all the advice is good, give the grass two weeks after mowing, then spray the new growth, you' ll have almost nothing green on the trail till fall.

It takes a long time for soil to re-establish sod-growth after spraying. So-long as the ground is not disturbed, exposing buried seeds, its about two months before considerable growth again occurs.

Good luck,

FYI - If your mowing anyhow, - consider mowing, spraying, then casting a white clover - the grass will never come back as tall, and you can mow clover effectively, you will not need roundup only every 4-5 years - 2 mowings a year will keep it low - AND offer a small food source.