Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Good all-season food plot?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good all-season food plot?

I notice there are a lot of plots that are good for early season, and ones that are good for late season. Are there any plots that are effective all season? I bow hunt and gun hunt, and if possible, would like to hunt the same plot(s) during both seasons. Would Buck Forage Oats be a good all-season food plot? I hunt in michigan, if that helps.

Also, what about Antler King "Honey Hole", "Red Zone", or their "Fall-Winter-Spring Mix"?

Please dont mention clover. Ive had poor results with it and ive tried several brands.

Thank You
Old 02-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck forage oats makes a great fall and winter hunting plot, I add to mine clover and rape. You need enough acreage to plant or the deer will have it ate up before the late season arrives.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know of anybody that has tried Buck Forage Oats that didn't like them. Just lime, fertilize at planting and when they are about 1 1/2 months old put about 100 pounds per acre of ammonite just before a rain.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

In Michigan, oats would be a fine early season plot, or as a fall plot. If planted in spring, they will mature in July and then the deer will not eat them. If planted in late summer, they will not survive the winter. Consider planting winter rye. Rye can be planted in Mid-August to early September, will be eaten fall/winter, and will survive the winter to provide an early spring food source.

Have you had a soil test? Perhaps there is an easily correctible problem with your soil that is causing you to have bad luck with clover.