Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Doe and Fawn

Old 06-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Spike

Default Doe and Fawn

Does anyone know how far a Doe will wander from a new born fawn in order to feed and for how long? Last week while driving down my drive way, which is about 1000 feet long, I spotted a yound fawn laying in the grass along the drive. At first I thought it was dead, but as I approached it, it got up and ran into the bushes. Two days later, i spotted a Doe with a young fawn in my garden area, approximately in the same location. I think they are staying in a patch of woods next to my house.

Two days ago in the evening, there was a Doe by my salt block, which is located about 50 yards behind my house on the edge of a meadow. It was apparant the Doe has given birth, by the size of her utter, which appeared to be full of milk. There was no fawn with her. AS she licked the salt, a racoon came out of he woods across the meadow and headed towards the patch of woods that I think the Doe and Fawn are staying. The Doe seen the racoon approach that patch of woods, and she took off after him, chasing him away, and then she went into the woods. Yesterday morning that same Doe was at the salt block, again with no Fawn. She spent about 15 minutes there and browsing flowers and shrubs in my yard, before entering that patch of woods again. I was just wandering if this was the same Doe I seen on morning with the Fawn, and twice with out the Fawn.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Doe and Fawn

A Doe will leave her fawn, regularly, this time of year, and may travel 1/4-1/2 mile, but usually only a few hundred yards from her fawn(s). She will only come near it to feed it - 2-3 times a day, after the first week or two. It is safer for her NOT to have a lot of contact with her fawn(s) for the 1st 2 months. Predators intent on a fawn for a meal, follow the mothers, since its difficult to locate hidden fawns.

It sounds very likely the doe you saw was the mother (or another mother you may not have seen the fawn to). But most likely the mother of the fawn. If the fawn is a doe, she may become almost tame growing up around the house (probably like her mother). If the fawn is male, it' ll leave for 5-20 miles away likely next spring or fall.

Take some pictures if you can, differnent deer are easily distinguished by markings if you have good photos.