Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Honeysuckle in south alabama??

Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Spike

Default Honeysuckle in south alabama??

Around my house their is honeysuckle pretty much everywhere, but in no where is is invasive i assume because the deer keep it in check. Also i work in the woods everyday and almost everywhere i go down here honeysuckle exists but not invasive.

That being said,,, what would be wrong with talking some cuttings and making a say 100 foot long by five foot strip of honesuckle to feed my "pets" in my backyard. I would properly lime,fertilize, and cage the strip,, i feel like this would be an absolute deer magnent. I know this is a touchy subject but what could it hurt if the cuttings come from the same area as my yard.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

You should be more concerned how your state Govt feels about it versus what our opinions might be. In some states it is illegal to propagate certain varieties of honey suckle(there are many types).

Also, I'm not trying to bust your chops here, but when you say its "pretty much everywhere" that is an indicator of it being invasive.

Again don't get me wrong, I actually consider ***anese honeysuckle a wildlife asset on my property, especially for deer. In my area, there are places you could walk every day for a week and not find one sprig of ***anese honeysuckle and in other areas its very common.

There is a lot of respected biologist that readily admit ***anese honeysuckle is a highly preferred and in some cases an important browse, but I don't know of any that condone the planting of it. They do however encourage the fertilization and management of what is already growing and established.

Hope this helps, and good luck to ya.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

J a p anese honeysuckle......

Last edited by haystack; 01-27-2010 at 04:19 AM.