Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Getting weeds & grass out of the clover plot >

Getting weeds & grass out of the clover plot

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Getting weeds & grass out of the clover plot

Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DaveH
Haystack, I'm not sure if I posted anything earlier about it, but everything you said is helpful. Based on the pic you provided, I am seeing some horseweed, however the weed that is giving me the biggest problem is more broadleafed - I used to describe it as looking like giant carrot tops. I guess the butyrac would work on it - and it's certainly a LOT less expensive.
Regarding mowing . . . how tall should I let it get . . . or just wait for it to flower first?
It sounds like the weed in question could be Wild Carrot, Poison Hemlock or Common Yarrow. Butyrac should take care of these also.

Wild Carrot Poison Hemlock Common Yarrow

If these don't look correct let me know.

I always wait until the clover blooms before cutting. Deer around here absolutely love Red clover and will graze it even when its starting to over mature. The thing with Red clover is, it doesn't like to be overly grazed or mowed to often. It is short lived even when properly managed, 2 years and its about gone unless it reseeds. It's also very common for Red clover to grow up knee high or so and fall over, almost flat to the ground, making mowing difficult. Even though its more difficult to maintain, its still well worth growing and definitely has its place in my food plots.

Last edited by haystack; 02-01-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

You deff. dont want to use round up..and i dont think your clover would survive 1qt./a thats a pretty hefty rate. we only spray like 24-36oz./a. I would go with the Butyrac or the poast plus. The Poast will kill your grasses and the Butyrac will kill your weeds. But then again it depends on what kind of weeds you have. You can also use Gramoxone max during the dormant season but your spring growth cant be over 2in. tall. If the weeds are growing and the clovers is under 6in. the gramoxone max will work but its a restricted use pesticide. The Poast Plus is a postemergence and is best applicated before mowing. the Butyrac is also a postemergence but best if sprayed before the weeds get over 3in. If you have any questions you can PM me. Also google Greenbook and set you up a free account. It should help you out alot.

Last edited by Down&OutHunting; 02-01-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys know your stuff! It looks like I might have common Yarrow growing here - it could be wild carrot too. Either way, it looks like the Butyrac should handle it.

The deer here really seemed to like the Red Clover too. I tried oats, white clover, buckwheat and turnips in plots a year ago and they turned their nose up at it. This year, I tried the clovers and buckwheat. They left the buckwheat alone again, but I could watch them every evening in the red clover-especially when it got about a foot tall or so. Out of the group of 4 or 5 deer I saw most evenings, 2 were nice 8 points. I got both of them during bow season - after not seeing them around the plots for a month or more.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

I had a lot of Queen Annes Lace (wild carrot) last year in my clover field, as well as some other broadleaf weeds. I sprayed Butrac twice and still couldn't eliminate all of the QAL. Some of it would wilt within hours, but some would never show any sign of distress. The good news is that it's a semi annual if I remember right, so keeping it mowed before it goes to seed should eliminate most of it eventually.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go DaveH on getting those bucks!! I've seen some real slammers come from that area the last few years.

You probably already know this but, if you have thin spots in your clover or want to keep the Red clover going longer, you can frost seed your plots around the end of February with good to excellent results.

Maggis has brought up a valid point also, total kills are unlikely on some weeds. If Yarrow is in fact what you have, its very likely some of that will survive. That one is a perennial with a tremendous root system.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Spike

Poast plus will take care of grass in pre growth and sustained growth stages. Pregrowth is easier but about twice the treatment for established grasses. It takes a surfactant but you can use 1/2 cup dishwashing liquid per batch and it does same thing and doesn't effect deer feeding. I bought it for about $110 a gallon and it will last a while probably a couple two or three years. I have quite a bit of tecomate monster mix out and use it on that. Mowing the clover will help with weed control and after clover has gone to seed on the heads and the seeds are dry it will heklp resow the plot. Just don't let the weeds go to seed before mowing and eventually they will be gone.

Hope this helps.