Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fall tillage sucks!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Spike

Default Fall tillage sucks!

We have a small 90 acre farm in NW Ohio... this year my father decided to cash rent it because it was time for corn rotation. A lot of farmers in our area planted soybeans and we're the only corn fields around for probably a mile or so. It's the only thing that keep the deer in my area. Hunted the corn fields hard all fall and got my buck (best ever) , now I've been taking my boys (9 and 7) EVERY chance we get. On the one end of the field I planted turnips between the rows Labor Day weekend and they looked awesome! (6-8" tall already) Once the corn comes off they get more sun and grow even better. Ohio gun season starts Monday, then we have a bonus weekend in December and a muzzleloader season in January. I was going to do everything in my power to get those kids a deer (buck or doe, didn't matter) before the end of the hunting season. I drive home tonight from work and there is a 4X4 John Deere and a large fall tillage chisel disk finishing up the last couple of rounds. Both corn fields are underground, my turnips are gone. Dad said he decided to let them fall till the whole farm... to tell you I'm livid is the biggest understatement I can think of at this time. We had the prime area for the next month and a half, now... nothing. We have never fall tilled our corn stalks! I asked him about his grandkids hunting and he didn't know what to say. I'm usally not a emotional person, but I could cry! I understand it's his place, but geez... he knows I've been taking these kids out every chance I get and I love deer hunting! OK... enough boo hoo.. just had to vent. Sorry guys. Jeff
Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Console yourself by realizing how lucky you are to have such a nice place all to yourself to hunt most of the season. There's an awful lot of us out here that would kill to have such a spot for even a week.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Spike

Yes, you are right. I have to remember that tomorrow when I've giving thanks to God for everything he has given us! I was a little revved up last night... it'll all work out. The kids and I will just have to work a little harder to be successful this season. Thanks for putting things into prospective.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Happy Pappy
Yes, you are right. I have to remember that tomorrow when I've giving thanks to God for everything he has given us! I was a little revved up last night... it'll all work out. The kids and I will just have to work a little harder to be successful this season. Thanks for putting things into prospective.
Hehe...no problem at all. I often catch myself grumbling about having to share 'my' hunting spots with a few other hunters, and then I take a step back and am grateful that I don't have to fight the real crowds like many of the guys on this forum. It's a good think for everyone to remember tomorrow: count our blessings!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Spike

"A lot of farmers in our area planted soybeans and we're the only corn fields around for probably a mile or so. It's the only thing that keep the deer in my area. Hunted the corn fields hard all fall and got my buck (best ever)..."

That was a lesson that my dad and I learned a couple of years ago. Deer are naturally self regulating about their diet, so they seek out a variety of food. What we did was drive around and see what the farmers were all planting in the area (corn, beans, rye, etc.), then we planted what no one else really had but could grow well in our soil (that's where a good local co-op comes in). The activity on our plot increased dramatically, especially with the addition of digging a couple of small watering holes nearby.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

I would be surprised if the deer werent in that plowed field eating those turnip bulbs before long.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Next year have it understood that the farmer planting the field will leave you a couple of strips of corn along the field edge, heck offer to pay him a little to leave some corn standing.