Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plot troubles!

Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Plot troubles!

This next season I have decided that I definately want to put out a food plot of some kind. Heres the reason I havent done it yet. From April till september the steers are put on this farm and run the whole thing. If I put out a plot they will eat it down to nothing before it gets a chance. I dont want to do a huge plot maybe just one off the edge of the field or in a woods clearing. So do ya think If I put electric fencing around it at a height that the deer can jump over or go under, that they will and it will also keep the cattle out. Because after september the cattle are gone and I can take the fencing down to allow easy access for the deer. Think it will work well???
Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

ya sounds like it will work, sounds like a pain 2!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

That will work fine. One strand of electric about 3’ off the ground will keep the cattle out. But, be prepared to check the fence every day for a while, until the deer know it’s there. They’ll knock down when it’s new
Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, you'll be in great shape with the electic fence but you will have to check it for awhile.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks that is probably what I will will, I have a solar fence charger up in the barn that I can take about anywhere up on the hill and set up some fence.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer dude

we jus use barb wire ..2 rows...tied to Tee post...this keeps the cows out and the deer jump right in, no need to ever take it down..a plot is bigger than jus goin around a corn feeder, but same concept and dont need electricity or havin to make sure the electric wire didnt break or get jacked up. this has worked fer years for us and with a buddy or 2 it can go fairly quickly and last forever.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
deer dude

we jus use barb wire ..2 rows...tied to Tee post...this keeps the cows out and the deer jump right in, no need to ever take it down..a plot is bigger than jus goin around a corn feeder, but same concept and dont need electricity or havin to make sure the electric wire didnt break or get jacked up. this has worked fer years for us and with a buddy or 2 it can go fairly quickly and last forever.
He doesn't own the land, and the fence needs to come down. I'll also mention that with enough room around, cattle will find their way through two strands of fence, and three can be questionable with certain cows. It just depends on how bad they want through.