Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Ammonium Sulfate????

Old 05-19-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Ammonium Sulfate????

I have read Ed Spinazzola' s book Wildlife Food Plots Easy as1-2-3. And he recommends mixing sprayable Ammonium Sulfate 1-1 with the Roundup. Anyone know the reason for Ammonium Sulfate??
Old 05-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammonium Sulfate????

I think its because its a good Nitrogen source for the following crop. Not needed for clover so much though - but makes sence for grains and annual plots.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it increases the effect of the Roundup by acting to increase the plant metabolism when sprayed as a foliar fertilizer. If you just sprayed ammonium sulfate the plant would grow faster. The plant is most suceptable to the herbicide when it' s quick growing.

Ammonium sulphate is also an acidic material. It may also be added as a pH buffer.

Dan O.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

i have generic " roundup" , it' s called Honcho and made by monsanto.

in the pamphlet of fine print that came on the jug, it mentioned that the effectiveness of the product would be enhanced with the addition of an adjuvent/surfactant and by the addition of ammonium sulfate.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:17 PM

Thanks Guys.

Where can it be purchased? any garden center?
Old 05-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

yes, any garden center. it' s 2-3 bucks for a 5lb bag. i went to a farm supply store and a local co-op, neither one had even heard of it.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Al; I thought ammonium sulphate was part of the mixture in brand name Roundup? Was Ed Spinazzola referring to adding ammonium sulphate when using generic brands?

Dan O.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

i bought some more generic glyphosate, this one is called " pronto big ' n tuf nonselective agricultural herbicide" it' s made by gordons. 41% gly plus surfactants. in the booklet, it mentions that the addition of 1-2 percent of ammonium sulfate will increase the effectiveness of the mixture. no additional surfactant is necessary, because it is included. $35/gal, $85/2.5 gal.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m sure its being added for its N content.

http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Topi...M_SULFATE.html
Old 05-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

farm hunter; I agree with you that it' s being added as a fertilizer but I think it' s for the crop that you' re trying to kill, not the next crop. When you apply foliar fertilizer it produces a quick growth response. That makes the Roundup more effective.

I make ammonium sulphate as a by-product of the steel (coking) industry. We have plenty of stories about people who take home bags of fertilizer, add too much and either kill their grass or get so much growth that they need to mow every couple of days. Ammonium sulphate is not a very good fertilizer to add every year. It' s acidic and will destroy the tilth of your soil. Lunchbucket likes to say stay away from chemical fertilizers - this is one to avoid if you can.

Dan O.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.