Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

will it grow??

Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 AM
  #1  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
bassman417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, IA
Posts: 367
Default will it grow??

Never planted a plot before. Theres an area where I hunt that recently had a few trees taken out. It seems to get somewhat moderate sunlight and there is short weeds pretty much starting to grow with the recent rain and cooler temps not frying them. I bought some Evolved Habitats Shot Plot and raked up the ground a bit and broadcast the seed. Its in the middle of the woods but its on a southeast hillside. I walked over the area the best I could to push the seed into the dirt. The mix is mainly turnip, brassicas, and rape I believe. So with the minimal effort I did my question is........ Will it grow?? I planted it yesterday and rain forcasted for Wed. or Thurs.
bassman417 is offline  
Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 AM
  #2  
Spike
 
cleveland5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 41
Default

id say yes but only time will tell.
cleveland5 is offline  
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM
  #3  
Typical Buck
 
hossdaniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Person Co. NC
Posts: 884
Default

Did you put any lime and fertilizer?
hossdaniels is offline  
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
SWThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC
Posts: 3,869
Default

I'm sure it will grow but probably not the way you expect. I guarantee you that area is too acidic for good growth and the deer will have it mowed down before it even starts. Especially since there use to be trees there. All the leaves that fell off those trees fell to the ground and rotted. When vegetation rots it creates acid. That is why lime is needed to neutralize the acid before planting. Otherwise, the acid in the soil will hinder your plants in absorbing nutrients like Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus that they need to grow. And that would also be why fertilizer is important for good plot growth. Some people can get by without liming or fertilizing and some can't.

I wish you the best and hope your plot explodes but more than likely, it won't.
SWThomas is offline  
Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
  #5  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
bassman417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, IA
Posts: 367
Default

the trees that used to be there were pines, I dont know if that makes a difference on acidity. also the landowner logged an area a couple years ago and put clover in to keep the weeds down. he just broadcast the seeds like i did and the clover took off, so Im hoping to have as good of luck as he did.
bassman417 is offline  
Old 08-24-2009, 05:22 PM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
 
SWThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC
Posts: 3,869
Default

Originally Posted by bassman417 View Post
the trees that used to be there were pines, I dont know if that makes a difference on acidity. also the landowner logged an area a couple years ago and put clover in to keep the weeds down. he just broadcast the seeds like i did and the clover took off, so Im hoping to have as good of luck as he did.
Well then maybe you have good soil in that area. You really won't know for sure unless you take a soil sample and have it read. But like I said, I wish you the best and hope your plot thrives.
SWThomas is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 01:05 AM
  #7  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
bassman417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, IA
Posts: 367
Default

I had to move one of my trailcams today and change the batteries in another and decided to visit the area I "planted." Well I put the seed down on Sunday and today is Wednesday and it hadnt rained a drop. However!!! The heavy dew in the morning have caused the seeds to split and take root and I have small patches of 1/4'' tall plants!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what they are though. They have 2 small lobed looking leaves, almost like a clover leaf. And now for the even better news........about an hour after I left it started to rain. It rained for about 40 mins then cleared off til dark and now its raining again. Not a heavy rain but just perfect for tiny plants to not drown.
bassman417 is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 PM
  #8  
Typical Buck
 
haystack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Blue Ridge Mountains of VA
Posts: 698
Default

Originally Posted by bassman417 View Post
I had to move one of my trailcams today and change the batteries in another and decided to visit the area I "planted." Well I put the seed down on Sunday and today is Wednesday and it hadnt rained a drop. However!!! The heavy dew in the morning have caused the seeds to split and take root and I have small patches of 1/4'' tall plants!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what they are though. They have 2 small lobed looking leaves, almost like a clover leaf. And now for the even better news........about an hour after I left it started to rain. It rained for about 40 mins then cleared off til dark and now its raining again. Not a heavy rain but just perfect for tiny plants to not drown.

Good job describing all brassica's, turnips, rape, kale etc.

Good luck with your plot. Here's a pic of brassica seedlings.
haystack is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 PM
  #9  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
bassman417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, IA
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by haystack View Post
Good job describing all brassica's, turnips, rape, kale etc.

Good luck with your plot. Here's a pic of brassica seedlings.
LOL I didnt know thats how they all looked from the start. But that pic is exactly what I saw growing and about the same size too.
bassman417 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.