Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New to Wildlife Management

Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 AM

Default New to Wildlife Management

We have 110 acres of land in Northeast Wisconsin (Door County), 30 acres are currently wooded, 80 acres are farm land that has not been used in 3 years and will not longer be used for farming. We do currently harvest Whitetail and Turkey. What we are looking for is a long-term plan for managing this land, but just not sure where to start. Have been scouring the web but that is becoming overwhelming. Any links, documents, books, etc that you can provide to a newby would be fantastic.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

You might want to check out the book "Grow 'Em Right" by Neil and Craig Dougherty. They are the founders of North Country Whitetails and the book is a very easy read and covers a lot of the basics. they have a website too that I'm sure has some articles you could check out. I think I picked a copy up on ebay for less than 15 bucks
Old 08-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gmil6184
You might want to check out the book "Grow 'Em Right" by Neil and Craig Dougherty.
I second the recommendation for Grow 'Em Right. https://www.qdma.com/store/details.a...and%20Booklets
Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wildlife and Woodlot Management (by Monte Burch)

Have fun
Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

In Wi. where taxes are very high,I personnally would put about 50 acres in pine/spruce plantation and put it in managed forest, Taxes would be about $8 an acre. Have a DNR forester come out an make suggestions on best use. As the Conifers are growing cut between the rows and clover will grow by itself. It will get quite thick in a few years and provide plenty of cover. Door County does support the growing of apple trees, so get a bunch of those started. Plant several couple acre size plots of round-up ready corn and soybeans (get from Pheasants forever very cheap) the soybeans leaves will attract deer all summef the corn after all farmers crops are off. Just broadcast the seeds and drag something to cover the seed. Remrmber its only for the deer so it doesn't have to be picture perfect. Spray weeds a couple times during summer to prevent competition. Former cropland doesn't need any fertilizer or lime,again its only for the deer. All the idea's
I have done. It works great. The conifers can be purchased from the DNR for minimum cost, Planter can be rented from the dnr need a small tractor tho. Its takes about 600 trees per acre.
You wanted long term there you go. You are welcome to drive about 80 miles to see our place
Redclub