Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

praries

Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default praries

I was wondering if anyone has ever planted prairies as a means for bedding area as well as a food source. I'm sure I will not be getting many responses as no one seems to reply anymore on here to even common questions..

but if anyone has any advise on seed mixes or any experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

brandon
Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have 35 acres planted in native prairie, It sure is beatiful but it takes time and effort, Seed is very expensive (about$700 an acre) unless you can get it from someone like US fish and wildlife which is where I got mine. First you have to kill off all the grass with round-up (twice) then get a no-till prairie planter has to be a prairie planteras forbs are very hairy and will plug up other planters. When it or weeds start to grow cut back to 6" keep at it, next spring burn the field and let it grow again keep cut. following spring burn again and let it grow. you should start to see some forbs. its a lot of work but once established will last for 20 years or longer. All wild game love it. PM me if you want specific info. Good luck
Redclub