Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mineral block from Tractor Supply?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

They work for me and they last a whole longer than the trophy rock.

Here is one i put out last month.
Attached Thumbnails Mineral block from Tractor Supply?-tractorsupplyblock.jpg  

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 08-18-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thats awesome... Im glad I posted this up here. If no deer take interest in it in the next few weeks I will just get another for next year... How long does it take to fully disolve? Pike- Did you find which block works better, salt or mineral? How many do you put on your property? Im liking what I am hearing! What time of year do deer start using the blocks again?

Mike
Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

There seems to always be some interest in them from what I have seen. They last sometimes 2 months, sometimes 6 months. Depends how much they get hit and how much rain we get.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe some others can help with dissovle time, I use loose trace mineral salt mixed with dical and lime. The dical and lime is to provide extra calcium and phosphorus, which are the primary elements antlers are made from. I dont want them short on that stuff! The trace mineral blocks should provide some benefit that plain salt will not. I do not know the "correct" answer, but I have a mineral site for approximately every 100 acres I hunt.

The deer start using the mineral sites more after spring green up. Does hit the blocks hard in the spring and early summer to help with nursing, and bucks seem to hit them harder later in the summer. That's just in general, you may get anything at anytime. I usually put cams on them in mid june when the bucks still have those funny looking clubs on top and some fawns are starting to show up. By mid-July you can pretty easily pick the shooters out of the crowd. By now what you see is about what you will get when the velvet comes off.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
Thats awesome... Im glad I posted this up here. If no deer take interest in it in the next few weeks I will just get another for next year... How long does it take to fully disolve? Pike- Did you find which block works better, salt or mineral? How many do you put on your property? Im liking what I am hearing! What time of year do deer start using the blocks again?

Mike
I replace the blocks once a year, they will continue to hit them until about Sept 21st. (in my area) Both the salt and mineral blocks work about the same and it doesnt matter which type you choose because the trace minerals in the mineral blocks do nothing to help
the deer other than providing them with a source of salt to their diet.
One block for every 75-100 acres is fine but I put a new block out every time I move my cams so I have more than that. They will start hitting my blocks again next April and thats when I start putting nmy cams back out. Pike
Old 08-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Spike

Find a good clay based soil in a low area with good cover that holds a little moisture after a rain for your site, once established you'll get plenty of trail camera pics for sure!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use blocks too, but also use apple flavored buck jam on stumps and right on the block. This year I've counted 14 different bucks coming to it. Mostly little guys but also 5 or 6 very nice bucks. Good luck with it and good luck this fall..
Old 08-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Spike

I just put out a the mineral block for TSC.... I have used them before.. They will lick the block and the dirt when its gone.... I split this last 1 in 1/2 so i could put it in 2 different spots around my stand 1/2 is under a corn feeder so they have both to attract them...the other 1/2 is on a trail by its self..
Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

i have never used one but have heard some good things about them....they do last very long also...deer at an area that i dont hunt at all just for the use of trail cam pics hit them all the way up till november when the rut hits in

i would recommend putting it near a water source too
Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

Salt has to be put out for next year not this year, Deer crave salt in late winter early spring but once they use it they will keep coming back however here in Wi. its illegal except the day before deer season until the end of deer season but even then there will be enough in the soil to keep em coming ,they will dig a large hole in the ground and surrounding area. Its very cheap for a great product.
Redclub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.