Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mineral block from Tractor Supply?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mineral block from Tractor Supply?

I bought this mineral block from the Tractor Supply Co. Two days ago and put it out on my property... http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

I heard the trophy rock and other mineral blocks work really well... Do you think this will work just like all of the other mineral blocks? The reason im asking this is because its made for cattle. Ive never tried mineral blocks before.. Do you think the deer will like this? How long will it be before they really start licking at it?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, it will work fine. Its actually hard to beat for summer time pics.

I prefer the loose salt vs the blocks. That way I can add some goodies(extra calcium and phosphorus, yuummm!) to it. Actually getting late for this year, but go ahead and put it out anyway. The blocks take a good bit of rain to start mixing with the soil around it. Put a cam on it mid july next year and check it mid august. I hope you have a card that holds abunch of pics! I check my cams on salty spots every 10 days this time of year because I have no patience, usually get 5-600 pics.

Ohh, and it isn't always that easy. They like some spots better than others. Some spots only get 100-150 pics in the 10 days. It is still a hell of a lot cheaper than corn!

Last edited by hossdaniels; 08-17-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Great! So you dont think any deer will really be into this time of year? Do they like to wait until it mixes into the ground first? I already have my camera next to it.. I cant wait to check it!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

all the deer that i hunt just start really hitting them now and will hit them all the way up till november when the rut starts to come on
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default me to

I have a salt block out , I moved the location and the deer dont seem to be comming in to it now .
I agree its been 2 weeks and no pics verses the old spot of 1 week and 5 to 2o pics .
I also have a rock salt/mineral block out that they hit on a regular basis and seems to work better ..Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over the years I have tried every type of rock, block, lick, jam etc. and the best thing I have found is the 50lb. generic blocks that you can buy at TSC for $6.00 and the lose salt/mineral 50 lb bags that you can get for $6.49 per 50lb bag at TSC.
The deer in my area will continue to hit them until about Sept 21st.
Below is link to my photo album that has pics of over 70 + different bucks hitting my blocks and licks this summer. Pike
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...%20Cam%20Pics/
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
Great! So you dont think any deer will really be into this time of year? Do they like to wait until it mixes into the ground first? I already have my camera next to it.. I cant wait to check it!

Oh yeah, they are still into it, but I dont want you getting discouraged if you dont have any pics this year. It usually takes a couple months to start coming good, and by October they have mostly lost interest. Put the camera back out next year and I think you will have much better results.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about locations for them? I have had a block out for several weeks with no results so far...are there any specific types of terrain, or areas of your land layout that would be better for a mineral block?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

I have mine along established game trails going to feeding areas, still some get hit a lot harder than others. Its seems that the ones in soft forest soil do better, but it may just be easier for them to dig in. I put mine out in february(loose), and top off in early july. I dont think a few weeks is really long enough.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is what I figured...thanks. This is the first time I have ever experimented with a block, as I have always used corn in the past...looking for a cheaper, and from what some friends say, more effective alternative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.