Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

some ideas??

Old 08-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default some ideas??

here's a little bckground: 10 acre field (usually planted by farmer in corn, soybeans, or winter wheat), acre corn field next to it. probably gonna be planted half beans and half corn- left to stand all winter as food plot, but the thing i am hoping someone here has some suggestions for is we have 2 food pliots in the woods right now and adding another next year. we planted spot plot- trnips and brassicas in both of those. but i dont was 3 plots of exactly the same thing in all.. kinda want to make it so they have a food source that is attractive/ ripe for them summer/fall/winterish... so i would like to try and plant 3 different things.. one in each plot. probably one in the brassicas again.. but then waht for the other two? they are about 3/4 an acre to an acre in size each.. so i wa thinkin maybe clover and another in some sort of oats? anyone have any good ideas or anything that works for them? also, what kind of oats do deer like/ gives them good nutrition? sorry for all the questions, but im kinda new at this and its the only way im gonna learn.

thank you so much. any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just some ideas, not sure where you're from but this is what a lot of people like around here in southern Indiana...

Summer - A few types of clover... Or beans if you make the plot big enough.

Fall and winter - Standing corn, a mix of both forage brassicas and also root-type brassicas for later in the winter, such as kale, rape, appin forage turnip, seven-top turnips, and purple-top turnips are some examples. My cousin who hunts a big chunk of land in the next county over has had a lot of success with winter wheat and oats also, for colder season plots. I am thinking about doing both turnips and winter wheat/oats as cold season food sources next year, but not in the same plot.

Good luck to you, have fun..

Last edited by bowmanaj; 08-02-2009 at 08:07 PM.