Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Good PH - do i still lime or just Fert? >

Good PH - do i still lime or just Fert?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Good PH - do i still lime or just Fert?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Spike

Default Good PH - do i still lime or just Fert?

I had my tests done one was 6.0 one at 6.3
on a tight budget am i ok adding 15-15-15 or should i really add the lime and fertilizer for a plot of Honey Hole and Maximum?

i've planted a bird style food plot with nothing other than disking and had awesome results
oats-timothy-sunflower and jap millet (pumpkins mixed in)
about 2.5 feet tall right now and looks great

appreciate any insight
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I your soil tests are within what your seed calls for then you can go ahead and just fertilize. "Good" ph means the fertilizer will be used efficiently and not really wasted so to speak . 6.0 and 6.3 are pretty good and fall into a range that a lot of plants call for, but check to see what your seed calls for. A little more lime won't hurt, but I would save the lime for when you need to fix your ph. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain it better, hope this helps.

Good luck, have fun.. I love growing sunflowers
Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I am not sure what is in the Honey Hole and Maximum seed blends. For grasses, a pH of 6.0-6.3 is just fine. No lime would be needed, and it would be a waste of money to apply lime. If you plan to grow clover (or especially alfalfa), you will want to add lime to raise the pH to at least 6.6 (closer to 7.0 is better). If you are on a budget, consider sticking with the grasses this year. Oats, winter wheat, and winter rye would all grow fine this fall in NY with 6-6.3 for a pH, plus the seed is cheap.

Did your soil tests call for added P and K? If not, use urea (46-0-0) if you can get it. No use wasting money on nutrients you do not need, and grasses need a lot of N.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info -
i think i will try as is this year and get more indepth next year-
thanks- hope to post good pics in a few weeks!

Good hunting
Old 08-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Spike

Location: NY county that holds both typical and notypical state fiream records
Default 38 pages of liming knowledge

http://nmsp.css.cornell.edu/publicat...imedoc2006.pdf

You should be able to figure out about everything you need to know for NY.