Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

evolved harvest

Old 07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default evolved harvest

Has anyone had any experience with the Evolved Harvest seed blends? I'm going to put in a few fall plots in the next couple weeks and i wasn't sure what type of seed to go with. The Evolved Harvest line seems to be a bit more affordable then Biologic or Whitetail Institute.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

I've used them for 3 or 4 years now and have had great luck with them.I have planted 4 plots of shot plot in the last 2 weeks(taking advantage of the rain) and 3 are up already and the last one was put in just a few days ago.We have had lots of rain in the last 2 days to help them out.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I have used Evolved Harvest seed blends in the past and have had success with them. I have to remind myself that the weather and planting conditions also play a big role along with the seed blend itself.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

YES! planted theis shot plot (brassica blend or turnips and rape) two weeka ago and I would say we have about a 95% germination rate!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Save some money and go to the local co-op for all your seeds. I use to get all worked up about which type of seed to get and from what company not to mention paying top dollar for the seed. After doing this for a few seasons with average results and decided to go to the local co-op with a list of some the favorite blends. I plant roughly 3-4 plots ranging from 1/2 -1 acr. It costs me about 13-15 dollars per plot.. I have had fantastic results and to be completely honest I like the quality and quantity of my plots compared to that of the name-brand mixes. Just a thought for you!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

diamond Shot Plot cost $9.97 per bag at Walmart cant get much cheaper than that. Pike
Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Shot plot just has your basic blend of brassicas namely "turnips and rape".. @ roughly $14.99 for 2.5 pounds that plants about 1/2 acr. Well in my neck of the woods the rape and turnips only become good around the 1-2 week of november, therefor I have to have other things such as a mixture of clovers, buckwheat, oats, and rye to name a few in order to hunt over it in the early season. I have learned through experience exactly what works for the properties because they do differ in some respects, but to get all of the seed through a certain manufacture would cost a few hundred bucks which I was simply stating is unnecessary.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Diamond - In the future I will probably go with generic seeds but because I'm new to this and kind of short on time I'm probably going to go with the commercial food plot mixes this year.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

diamond you pretty much do the same as me, I just wondered were you could get the same seed that is in Shot Plot for less than $9.97 per bag ( enough to do a half acre) Since I plant 30 + acres of food plots per year I need to save money were ever I can. Pike
Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Spike

Don't plant tro and gro in the spring .It will be dead by fall.All that came up for me was the rye and the deer never ate any of it that I could tell.