Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

GroundhogMax disc

Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default GroundhogMax disc

Anyone ever use a groundhog? I saw an advertistement for it the other day and it looks interesting. It's basically a disc that is about 2-3 foot wide and connects to the hitch on a 4-wheeler. Seems like a very basic design, I just don't understand how there is enough downforce to truely work up a plot for planting.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

I'm also very curious if anyone has had any experience with the groundhog max. I agree titleist that is is a very interesting design and would be super portable for plots way back in the woods. If i remember correctly I believe they said that the actual weight of the four wheeler and the rider provides the down force. In the ads it looks pretty impressive but when they show it in action it looks like they are discing in a sandbox the soil is so loose.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

I bought one this spring and have put in 5 plots with it.It will work if you can find a hitch strong enough to handle it.My stock suzuki set up was not near strong enough.I bought a kolpin dirt works 2" hitch and it has held up.4 out of 5 plots were new unbroken ground.2 plots were over 100 yards long and 30 yards wide.The more you go over it the deeper your plot will get.There no tractor,but they will get the job done.I'm doing another about 1/4 acre in size,but have been waiting to get some rain first.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I bought mine from atvplows.com for 349.00 shipped.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW expensive
Old 07-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

But sure beats the price of a standard pull behind atv disc. Most of those will run you close to $1000.

Ohiobowhunter, did you spray the plots before discing?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I broke down and said the hell with it and ordered a Ground Hog Max last night. $350 isn't too bad considering how much a regular set of discs costs (let alone a tractor). We'll see how it works, I'll be running it on a Honda Rancher 350 which they said should be compatible. Once I get it and try it out (probably be a week or two) I'll report back.