Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Too Wet to plant???????

Old 05-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too Wet to plant???????

I tried to prep a feild last week, it seemed a little wet................

Hopefully, things will go a little better this weekend!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Too Wet to plant???????

Is that a a boat anchor or a tractor?
Old 05-03-2003, 04:00 PM

years ago, a farmer where I used to live had a bulldozer sink like that. He went to town to get help, and when they came back the dozer had completely sunk out of sight. They tried probing with 10 foot rods; no luck. I guess it' s still down there in that sinkhole. I would suggest that you tie a long rope and a float so you can find it if it goes further.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Farmhunter; you' re OK as long as the air intake and exhaust are above water.
Nice picture.

Dan O.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:28 PM

I also went to plant our feild last weekend. Sunk the ATV.

Our feild can stay that wet mostly year around, grass grows there now, can we plant a food plot? What to plant?, How to plant? Do we frost seed?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:47 PM

Got a local Coop or Farm Supply? Get some annual Ryegrass and mix with either Kentland red clover or Ladino White. If they suggest another variety seriously consider it. They usually know what is best for your area. I don' t think any of those specialty seed mixes would do very good in your field condition. Next year the Ryegrass should be almost gone. If your clover has done well, sparay the plot with grass killer and you should have a real good Clover plot. If it stays that wet year around, the deer won' t be able to run away very fast, so you can pick and choose.
Russ
Old 05-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Al,
Russ made a good suggestion on the Ladino. It is very suitable to wet conditions and it doesn' t do well through a drought. I tried it in a couple wet spots where I couldn' t get anything else to grow and it hasn' t stopped yet. Not sure on the Kentland red clover but I would say go with Russ on that one too. I would say in your area you should be ok to plant it now and then reseed in the fall. If it' s as wet as you say you won' t be able to disc it and probably don' t need to. Sew it just before a rain and it should start gettin' green in a week.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Yes it has been raining alot here as well, we have been trying to get two 1 acre plots of ladino in for almost a month, We tilled, and looks like we will spray this weekend. I was thinking then the waiting a week to let it dry out, and doing a controlled burn and broadcasting just before a rain. I really dont want to disc again and turn up more weeds. Any one try this before?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I was in chiropractic school in Davenport, IA in ' 93 when the Mississippi went over the banks. All the feeder rivers and creeks also went over into the fields. All along Interstate 80 and 88 this was not an uncommon site. The water was higher than the fence posts.
Brian
Old 05-13-2003, 10:49 PM

Farmhunter-- that must be a John Deere, my old David Brown would have made it through there, kinda like walks on water for me.[&:] Thanks for the picture, its great, and I hope you got it out o.k.. terry

Quick Reply: Too Wet to plant???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.