HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Had a good weekend at the farm (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/294302-had-good-weekend-farm.html)

bowmanaj 05-17-2009 07:16 PM

Had a good weekend at the farm

Had a good weekend and got some work done.. My clover from last year is doing well, the grass is def. trying to out-compete it though. Its been pretty wet lately, so I could only do so much, but overall good weekend.

Many of you will prob think this is BS, but when I rounded the bend almost to the farm, I immediately see a turkey hen, a turkey vulture, and this guy, all within 10 feet of each other.. Pretty strange
(He was mean!)

Some sunflowers coming up..A scattered some around the pond, but most will be in the sweet corn garden area.

Little clover "test plot" ..I was curious to see the difference between Imperial clover and the white clover from the seed/feed store.

Storm rolling in over the valley

The girlfriend loves the cub cadet:D

Pond management...Saved the xmas tree, weighted down with concrete. I did it on the other side of the pond last year.. The fish love it, especially the bass.

Before I knew it, the sun was going down and I was still in the middle of planting corn. Fortunately I got it done and was able to catch a few blue gills and this little cat by firelight..

The bucks are liking the new mineral site

leadoperator 05-17-2009 07:44 PM

RE: Had a good weekend at the farm

good post! nice pics! looks like you have a good spot there!

whitetail_fanatic 05-17-2009 08:26 PM

Great pics, looks like an awsome spot. We get a lot of those big guys around here aswell.

Siman08/OH 05-18-2009 01:58 PM

Turtle catchin is my thing! ;)

Where do you guys stay at the property? Cabin/Camper? Or old school tents?

whatisup02 05-18-2009 03:44 PM

Looks like a great place. Nice cat also. I wish my pond had fish in it. Did you notice any difference between the seed from the feed store or Imperial clover

haystack 05-18-2009 05:37 PM

Looks like things are going good Bowman!! and thats a nice looking GF you got there, I mean cub cadet[8D]:D

bowmanaj 05-18-2009 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Turtle catchin is my thing! ;)

Where do you guys stay at the property? Cabin/Camper? Or old school tents?
There'sa trailer on the property that the old owners of the property used to live in. Its pretty nice, has everything we need, plumbing, water, heat, air.. But I sleep out by the pond pretty often. Not on purpose sometimes;)

bowmanaj 05-18-2009 07:06 PM

haystack, haha thanks.. I just plantedsome of thekandy korn. I'm gonna plant the rest of it and some sugar buns in two weeks, and another round after that.We almost had a frost last night but it only got down to 39, so I hope everything will be fine. Its warming up a lot, and the ground has been warm enough for awhile.. I will probably be asking a lot of questions about the sweet corn this summer. Its my first try with it so I know I'll be learning some things the hard way.

whatisup02--it grows a little better than generic but its not worth the price. Comparing how muchsomeone wouldpay for white tail institute or biologic stuff,buying generic white clover seedwill give you alot more seed for the money, and it grows well.. (4 bucks a pound at the Farm and Garden store).

whatisup02 05-19-2009 01:04 AM

Ya i bought the generic stuff I could get more for less. But it is nice to see the someone did both just to see.

haystack 05-19-2009 05:03 PM

Speaking of sweet corn and frost. I gambled on a early planting of Ambrosia sweet corn (planted Apr19) Well this morning we had 34 degrees and a skim of frost on windshields and roof tops[:-] But for the most part the corn was spared:D I only found one damaged stalk! I'm going to plant two more patches, 1 in two weeks and again the end of June. Hopefully that is the last frost until hunting season. Keep me posted on how yours is doing Bowman!!

Here's the damaged plant

The rest is OK

Off topic, but here is some Medium Red Clover, before it gets cut, this week. *Note my dog partially obscured. The clover is a little over 2 feet tall.

And deer around here love it:D